This simple chip dip recipe uses just 3 ingredients and is the perfect dip for any occasion. Cool and creamy, you won’t be able to resist it!
Cold Chip Dip Recipe
This 3 ingredient cold chip dip is perfect for your next party, movie night, game day, or just for a quick afternoon snack.
I love it because it is super quick to make, you can customize it with different seasonings, and it’s a great last minute appetizer when you get invited to a party.
It’s quick and easy with cool and creamy texture that is perfect with salty chips or crisp veggies.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my disclosure policy here.
Sour cream – Use full fat, reduced fat, or fat free. Substitute Greek yogurt if desired.
Mayonnaise – Duke’s is my favorite brand or use your favorite.
Ranch seasoning – Substitute homemade ranch seasoning or use a combination of garlic powder, garlic salt, onion powder, salt and black pepper.
How to Make Chip Dip
First: Add all ingredients to a large mixing bowl. Mix well until fully combined and smooth.
Second: Cover and place dip inside the refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes before serving. Serve with potato chips or your favorite chopped veggies.
For the full recipe and detailed instructions, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
How do you serve it?
I love mine in a small bowl with a basket of chips or veggies. It’s also a great option for a veggie tray or crudite platter.
Chips: Crunchy potato chips, tortilla chips, kettle chips, pita chips.
Fresh vegetables: Cucumber slices, carrot sticks, celery sticks, sliced bell pepper.
How long can chip dip sit out?
This easy chip dip can sit out at room temperature for up to two hours.
If you need it out longer, I recommend either serving smaller portions and refilling the dish with the remaining dip stored in the fridge or put it in a chilled container.
How long does it last?
This sour cream chip dip will last up to 1 week in the fridge, if you don’t inhale it all in one sitting.
Keep in an airtight container or a serving dish covered tightly with plastic wrap.
Can you freeze chip dip?
While you can freeze it, I don’t recommend it. The texture and consistency of the creamy dip change and get very watery when you thaw it.
It is so easy to make and lasts for a week in the fridge so I don’t typically worry about freezing it.
What is the most popular chip dip?
The most popular chip dip in the United States is salsa but it should be this homemade dip.
- Fresh herbs, dried herbs (dill weed is my favorite)
- Seasoned salt
- Old bay seasoning
- Taco seasoning
- Greek seasoning
- Southwest spice mix
- Everything bagel seasoning
- Onion soup mix
Tapas Tips & Tricks
- substitute some or all of the sour cream with plain yogurt
- try it with different herbs and spices
- chill it for for 30 minutes before serving
- use low fat or fat free mayo and sour cream for a low fat dip
- give it a good stir before serving
- thicken it up by adding a little more sour cream or softened cream cheese
More Potato Chip Dip Recipes
If you love this recipe as much as I do, please write a five-star review in the comment section below (or on Pinterest with the “tried it” button – you can now add pictures into reviews, too!), and be sure to help me share on facebook!
This delicious chip dip is made with simple ingredients and is way better than store-bought dip. Whip up a batch, grab your favorite chips, and enjoy it while watching the big game!
- 2 cups sour cream
- ½ cup mayo
- (½) 1 oz package of Ranch Seasoning Mix
- Add all ingredients to a large mixing bowl. Mix well until fully combined and smooth.
- Cover and place dip inside the refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes before serving.
- Serve with potato chips or your favorite chopped veggies.
- Substitute some or all of the sour cream with plain yogurt
- Try it with different herbs and spices
- Chill it for for 30 minutes before serving
- Use low fat or fat free mayo and sour cream for a low fat dip
- Give it a good stir before serving
- Thicken it up by adding a little more sour cream or softened cream cheese
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1/4 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 217Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 379mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 0gSugar: 3gProtein: 2g
This nutrition information was generated via a third party. I can not be held liable for any discrepancies in the information provided.
TakeTwoTapas.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.