This tangy and delicious Sour Cream and Onion Dip is the perfect party dip to pass around at your next gathering! Use this dip with potato chips, to top off a baked potato, or even as a soup topping.
Table of contents
- Sour Cream and Onion Dip
- Ingredient List
- How to make Sour Cream and Onion Dip
- Is French Onion Dip the same as Sour Cream and Onion?
- How long does the dip last in the fridge?
- Can I freeze it?
- How can I make this recipe vegan-friendly?
- What chips go best with Sour Cream and Onion Dip?
- Tapas Tips and Tricks
- More Party Foods
Sour Cream and Onion Dip
Sour Cream and Onion Dip is a versatile appetizer bursting with onion flavor. Use it as a tangy dip for potato chips, a creamy topping for french onion soup, or even as a flavorful topping for a steaming baked potato.
No matter how you decide to serve up this dish, the velvety tangy sour cream mixed with the freshly chopped onions will excite all your tastebuds. Plus, this sour cream and onion dip recipe is super simple to make, with only three steps. That makes this easy dip recipe perfect for a last minute appetizer on game day!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my disclosure policy here.
Sour Cream: Original full fat or light both work here. To make this recipe vegan-friendly, sub in your favorite non-dairy sour cream.
Garlic Powder: A milder alternative for fresh garlic, garlic powder will add a subtle hint of flavor to the dip.
Onion Powder: Unlike garlic powder, onion powder can sometimes be more flavorful than fresh onion. Adding onion powder ensures the dip will have that recognizable oniony flavor.
Dried Onion Flakes: Due to the drying process, dried onion flakes are in richer taste than fresh onions, which is why both are included in this recipe.
Green Onions : Fresh green onions are sweet and mild and add a freshness to your homemade sour cream and onion dip that just you won’t find in the store bought dip mix.
Fresh Chives: As an optional garnish, add some chopped chives for a pop of color.
Staples: Salt and black pepper to taste.
How to make Sour Cream and Onion Dip
FIRST: Finely chop the fresh green onions.
SECOND: Add the green onion to a medium sized bowl, then add in all other ingredients and seasoning to combine.
THIRD: Chill for one hour, then serve with chips and veggies. Enjoy!
For the full recipe and detailed instructions, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Is French Onion Dip the same as Sour Cream and Onion?
There are quite a variety of recipes for homemade onion dip. This one is the classic onion dip that sometimes gets confused with French Onion Dip. The real difference is that French Onion Dip is made with caramelized onions. It also goes by the name California Dip.
There is also a French onion soup mix for that dip but I prefer the fresh recipe for Sour cream and Onion!
How long does the dip last in the fridge?
If stored properly in an airtight container, the dip will keep for about 3-4 days. Best to cover with plastic wrap directly on top of the dip without a lot of air between it and the wrap.
Can I freeze it?
Dairy-based dips generally do not freeze well, so I do not recommend freezing. Instead, store this fresh dip in the fridge for 3-4 days.
How can I make this recipe vegan-friendly?
To make this recipe vegan-friendly, substitute the sour cream with a dairy-free sour cream of your choice.
What chips go best with Sour Cream and Onion Dip?
My favorite way to enjoy this Onion Chip Dip is with plain potato chips, but you can enjoy it so many ways!
- Kettle Chips
- Pita Chips
- Sliced Bell Peppers
- really any vegetable or cracker!
More Delicious Dip recipes
Tapas Tips and Tricks
- Chilling before serving will help solidify the dip. It’s even better the next day!
- Separation is normal! If the dip gets watery, give it a mix.
- If you prefer a thicker dip, substitute half the sour cream for cream cheese or Greek yogurt.
- Brighten it up even more with a splash of fresh lemon juice.
- To preserve the best flavor, refrigerate leftovers for 3-4 days rather than freezing.
- Serve with potato chips, veggies, or use as a topping on baked potatoes or soup.
- This dip will go quick! If you’re serving this dish at a party, you might want to double the recipe.
- Try adding bacon bits to the dip for another layer of flavor!
- A good dip to use up Leftover sour cream
- Want more color? Try more fresh herbs like parsley!
If you love this recipe as much as I do, please write a five-star review in the comment section below (or on Pinterest with the “tried it” button – you can now add pictures into reviews, too!), and be sure to help me share on facebook!
This simple recipe for tasty Sour Cream Dip can be served with a range of dippers and dishes. No matter how you choose to serve it, this creamy dip will quickly become a family favorite!
- 2 cups sour cream
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 2 stalks green onions (chopped fine)
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives (chopped, for garnish)
- Mix all the ingredients together.
- Chill for 1 hour.
- Serve with veggies and chips.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 120Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 34mgSodium: 85mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 2g
This nutrition information was generated via a third party. I can not be held liable for any discrepancies in the information provided.
More Party Foods
TakeTwoTapas.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.