Super crispy Air Fryer Potato Chips are to make, require only 3 ingredients, and are the crispiest homemade snack. You won’t be able to stop eating bowl after bowl!
Air Fryer Potato Chips
I love potatoes! There are so many ways to enjoy them: french fries, mashed, roasted, boiled, whipped, and as potato chips!
Making homemade potato chips is easy, but finding the best way to cook them and may not be.
I prefer mine deep fried, but that is very messy and time-consuming. Thank goodness I bought an air fryer last year!
Can you make potato chips in an air fryer? OF COURSE YOU CAN! No mess and just 3 ingredients!
Trust me when I say, you will never go back to your old way of making them.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my disclosure policy here.
Potatoes – Russet potatoes make the best potato chips. Their texture allows them to get extra crispy.
Olive oil – Substitute a light cooking spray.
Salt – Kosher salt is my favorite salt for chips!
Before you can make potato chips, you need to start with right ingredients.
Which potato makes the best chips?
Yukon Gold or Russet potatoes are the best varieties for making potato chips. They have a slightly dryer texture which allows them to get super crispy.
All the other ones are too waxy and won’t get as crispy as you would like.
How to make potato chips in the air fryer
FIRST: Wash and cut your potatoes very thin slices! Place the slices in a bowl of water with salt.
SECOND: Soak the potato slices in the salt water for 30 minutes. Remove the slices to paper towels and pat them dry.
THIRD: Preheat the air fryer to 330F for 5 minutes. Toss the potato slices in a large bowl with the olive oil. Toss to coat.
FOURTH: Place potato slices in the air fryer basket, preferably in a single layer. Or the least amount of layers or overlap. Air fry for 20-25 minutes.
Shake the basket a few times but at least once, halfway through cooking.
FIFTH: Remove the potato chips from the basket, season with salt or your favorite seasoning. Serve immediately with your favorite dipping sauce.
For the full recipe and detailed instructions, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Do air fryers make good chips?
Not only is it healthier than deep frying, it is also less messy!
How long do chips take in an air fryer?
Depending on how many potato slices are in the basket, it should take between 20-30 minutes to get the chips crispy.
Why are my air fryer chips soggy?
There is a couple of reasons you might have soggy potato chips.
- too much moisture – be sure to dry the potatoes really well.
- frying temperature too low – be sure to air fry at 300-340F.
- too much starch – be sure to soak the potatoes to remove it.
Why do you soak potatoes in water before frying?
Soaking the potatoes for at least 20 minutes in cold water will help to remove the starch from the potato slices.
Starch makes the slices stick together. When you are trying to make CRISPY chips, you don’t want them sticking together.
My favorite way to season these potato chips in the air fryer, is my French Fry Seasoning. It is the perfect balance of spice and salt to bring out the flavor of the potato.
Tapas Tips & Tricks
- Make sure you slice the potatoes in a uniform size so they cook evenly.
- A mandolin slicer is the best way to slice the potatoes extra thin.
- Be sure to soak the slices in water for at least 30 minutes to remove as much of the starch as possible.
- Dry the potatoes the best you can. I prefer to place mine between a couple layers of paper towels in between baking sheets for about 15 minutes.
- Season the potatoes as soon as you take them out of the air fryer.
- Spritz the potato slices with oil to use the minimal amount.
- Shake the air fryer basket a few times while cooking to keep the potatoes from sticking to each other.
- Don’t have an air fryer? Turn your instant pot into one with a crisp lid!
- Want to leave out oil all together? Try cooking spray!
If you love this recipe as much as I do, please write a five-star review in the comment section below (or on Pinterest with the “tried it” button – you can now add pictures into reviews, too!), and be sure to help me share on facebook!
Homemade potato chips made in the air fryer are an easy snack food that everyone will love. Just 3 ingredients and you have a crispy snack or dish for your favorite sandwich! These golden brown slices of goodness are my new favorite snack food!
- 8 cups water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 large russet potatoes, sliced to ⅛ inch thick
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Garnishes: Fresh parsley, chopped
- Pour water into large bowl, add salt and stir until salt is dissolved .
- Thinly slice the potatoes to ⅛ inch thick. Using a mandolin is highly recommended.
- Soak the potatoes in the saltwater for 30 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and pat dry with paper towels.
- Preheat the Air Fryer to 330°F for 5 minutes.
- Add potato slices to large bowl.
- Drizzle potatoes with olive oil and stir to coat.
- Layer the potatoes in the preheated air fryer.
- Cook the potatoes at 330°F for 20-25 minutes or until desired browning.
- Make sure to shake the basket halfway through cooking.
- Season the potatoes with salt when done cooking.
- Serve immediately with your favorite dipping sauce.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 2 ounces
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 175Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1772mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 4g
This nutrition information was generated via a third party, Nutritionix, and can not be held liable for any discrepancies in the information provided.
More Party Foods
- Air Fryer Pizza Rolls
- Air Fryer Fried Pickles
- Loaded Potato Skins
- Cookie Fries
- Homemade Potato Skins
TakeTwoTapas.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.