If you like a good sausage and cheese biscuit for breakfast you will love Cream Cheese Sausage Balls as an appetizer even more. With just 4 ingredients, they are a crowd pleaser for sure!
Cream Cheese Sausage Balls Recipe
Cream Cheese Sausage Balls bring together all the great flavors of a great breakfast sandwich in one little ball that you can eat in one or two bites.
Made with simple ingredients, they are hands down the perfect appetizer!
Slightly spicy pork sausage mixed with light and fluffy baking mix, shredded cheese, and cream cheese make these sausage balls moist and chewy.
You can change up the spiciness with your choice of pork sausage and even add more heat by using a pepper jack shredded cheese instead of cheddar.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my disclosure policy here.
Sausage – I like to use the spicy sausage. But Italian sausage and even the maple sausage work really well with this recipe!
Baking Mix – I like to use Bisquick mix, and even a homemade bisquick, but use your favorite complete baking me for this.
Cheddar Cheese – Sharp cheddar cheese is best or substitute Pepper Jack.
Cream Cheese – For ease of mixing, bring the cream cheese to room temperature and cut into cubes before incorporating it into the mix.
How to Make Sausage Balls with Cream Cheese
ONE: Preheat oven to 350F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
TWO: In a large bowl, combine sausage and cream cheese. Add the baking mix and cheddar cheese. Mix until thoroughly combined.
THREE: Scoop the sausage mixture into 1-inch balls and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Chill in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes.
FOUR: Bake in a preheated oven for 15 – 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove, cool slightly, and enjoy!
Enjoy these with your favorite dipping sauce!
- Ranch Dressing
- Honey Mustard
- Bang Bang Sauce
- Chick-fil-A Sauce
- Alabama White Sauce
- Maple Syrup
- Barbecue Sauce
For the full recipe and detailed instructions, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Do they need to be refrigerated?
Yes, you want to keep sausage balls in the refrigerator. The best way to is to store them in an airtight container.
Can I leave them out overnight?
I have eaten day-old pizza with sausage on it that was left out, but I wouldn’t recommend it. I actually like sausage balls cold, but the best way to re-heat them in my opinion is to pop them in the oven again for a few minutes.
You can use the microwave, but they get a little chewy that way. I like them popped in the toaster oven or air fryer for a few minutes as well.
How to Freeze Sausage Balls
One of the best things about sausage balls is that you can freeze them to have whenever you want. You can freeze the balls before they are baked or after.
If you want to freeze them before baking roll them into balls and place them on a parchment lined baking sheet and into the freezer, once frozen you can place them in a freezer zipper bag for up to three months.
You can also freeze baked sausage balls in a freezer safe bag or container for up to three months.
Tapas Tips & Tricks
- Cube the cream cheese and let it come to room temperature so it incorporates better.
- Switch up the hot sausage for a maple or regular flavor.
- Grate your own cheese for better melting.
- No baking mix? Try all purpose flour mixed with baking powder and shortening.
- Using a stand mixer or hand mixer is best but you can use your hands. You can also use a food processor.
- Use a small cookie scoop for consistent sizes when scooping.
- Chill before baking to keep the balls from spreading a coming out flat.
- If they seem dense you can always add a teaspoon of baking powder to the mix
- Depending on the size of the sausage cheese balls and your oven, you may need to increase the cooking time to 20-25 minutes.
If you love this recipe as much as I do, please write a five-star review in the comment section below (or on Pinterest with the “tried it” button – you can now add pictures into reviews, too!), and be sure to help me share on facebook!
These are seriously the best sausage balls around. You will want to make a batch of this delicious appetizer today. They also make a great quick breakfast to have prepped for busy mornings.
- 1 pound hot pork sausage (ground)
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 2 cups all purpose baking mix (Bisquick)
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese (shredded)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sausage and cream cheese.
- Add the baking mix and the cheese. Mix to combine thoroughly.
- Scoop into 1 inch balls. (I like to use an ice cream scoop to keep them all the same size.)
- Chill in the refrigerator for 10 minutes to firm up.
- Bake at 350F for 20 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove to a cooling rack or paper towel lined plate. Cool slightly.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
*If you love this recipe as much as I do, please leave me a comment and rate it 5 stars. Thank you!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 211Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 42mgSodium: 448mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 8g
This nutrition information was generated via a third party. I can not be held liable for any discrepancies in the information provided.
More Easy Finger Foods
TakeTwoTapas.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.