Patriotic Snack Mix is a fun and festive treat that will help you celebrate the 4th of July, or any patriotic holiday!
Crunchy pretzels and sweet candies drizzled with red, white, & blue chocolate to hold it all together. Serve it at a picnic, bbq, or package as a delicious party favor.
If you’d rather skip my essential cooking tips and tricks and get straight to this delicious recipe – simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
Are you looking for a fun fourth of July dessert? With all the red, white, blue food out there it’s hard to narrow down something to serve at a summer picnic.
Check out this Patriotic Snack Mix!
This fun and festive trail mix is full of flavor and texture and highlighted with patriotic colors that work for not just Independence Day, but also Memorial Day, and Labor Day!
Of all the patriotic desserts out there, this will be your new favorite. This snack mix can be made ahead of time and packaged so many ways. No need for coolers and it makes a great party favor for your guests to enjoy later!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my disclosure policy here.
PATRIOTIC SNACK MIX INGREDIENTS
- Chex cereal
- M&M candies
- red licorice or vine candy
- melting wafers
Pretzels – I like the mini twists but you can use sticks or nuggets if you prefer.
Chex cereal – I like the plain corn variety but feel free to use any that you wish or a combo of the three.
M&M candies – use red, white, & blue M&Ms or you can use any other colored candy that you like. I like to use Sixlets or jelly beans too.
Marshmallows – the miniature ones are best for this mix.
Licorice – Twizzlers are my favorite but some like Red Vines too. You can also choose another red gummy candy like Gummy Bears or Swedish Fish.
Melting Wafers – you can use already colored wafers like Candy Melts, or you can use all white candy coating or white chocolate and use food coloring to tint them. Just be sure to use an oil based food coloring as water based can make the chocolate seize up.
Sprinkles – Use colored sprinkles or other small colored candies. If you are using candies you can choose various shapes like star shapes, balls or, hearts.
HOW TO MAKE PATRIOTIC SNACKS
ONE: In a large bowl, mix together the pretzels and the cereal. Add the M&Ms and marshmallows and stir to combine.
TWO: Spread the mixture evenly on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Cut the licorice candy into 1 inch pieces and spread on top of cereal mixture.
THREE: In three separate bowls, melt the colored candy melts or chocolates. Stir to smooth. Transfer to squeeze bottles, plastic bags, or use a spoon to drizzle the three colors over the cereal mixture. Add the sprinkles while the melted chocolate is still wet.
FOUR: Let set 15-30 minutes or until the candy coating is set. Break into bite sizes or pieces and store in an air tight container until ready to enjoy.
For the full recipe and detailed instructions, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
HOW DO I STORE PATRIOTIC SNACK MIX?
Keep it stored in an air tight container at room temperature for up to 1 week. Do not refrigerate or freeze as the moisture will ruin the snack mix.
HOW DO I SERVE IT?
You can serve it in a large bowl, in small pails in various locations, or package individual portions in clear bags with fun ribbons and tags!
TAPAS TIPS & TRICKS
- prep your baking sheet with foil for easy clean up.
- use food safe squeeze bottles to make drizzling easier. You can also use frosting bags too!
- switch up the candies and sprinkles and serve it for Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day!
- Add nuts like pecans or peanuts for more texture and added protein.
- if you want to leave out the marshmallows, you can use yogurt covered pretzels instead.
- be sure to get the candy coating drizzled evenly to help the pieces stick together better.
If you love this recipe as much as I do, please write a five-star review in the comment section below (or on Pinterest with the “tried it” button – you can now add pictures into reviews, too!), and be sure to help me share on facebook!
Enjoy this fun and festive 4th of July desserts and celebrate the American Flag with delicious red, white, and blue treats!
MORE EASY PARTY SNACKS
- space pop cocktail
- candied pecans
- marshmallow cereal bars
- christmas crack chex mix
- pumpkin spice marshmallows
- dessert nachos
- In a large bowl, mix together the pretzels and the cereal. Add the M&Ms and marshmallows and stir to combine
- Spread the mixture evenly on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- Cut the licorice candy into 1 inch pieces and spread on top of cereal mixture.
- In three separate bowls, melt the colored candy melts or chocolates. You can do this in the microwave at 30 second intervals, or in a double boiler on the stove top.
- Stir to smooth. Transfer to squeeze bottles, plastic bags, or use a spoon to drizzle the three colors over the cereal mixture.
- Add the sprinkles while the melted chocolate is still wet.
- Let set 15-20 minutes or until the candy coating is set. Do not put in the refrigerator to set or it will make the snack mix soggy.
- Break into bite sizes or pieces and store in an air tight container until ready to enjoy.
*If you love this recipe as much as I do, please leave me a comment and rate it 5 stars. Thank you!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 3/4 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 474Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 273mgCarbohydrates: 96gFiber: 2gSugar: 54gProtein: 4g
This nutrition information was generated via a third party. I can not be held liable for any discrepancies in the information provided.
@TakeTwoTapas.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.