These spicy and crispy Comeback Crackers are light and flaky with a little kick to them. They are so addicting and they will keep you coming back for more!
My kids are Saltine Cracker addicts. To the point where I should own stock in them. My younger son even licks all the salt off of his before he eats them. Now as an adult, I like them but not enough to inhale 75 sleeves of them. Enter some spice and a little fruity olive oil and you can keep me coming back for more. That made me think of a great name for these crackers: Comeback Crackers!
I keep coming back for more and more and more until the whole box is gone. And a liter of water since they are spicy:) These Comeback Crackers are an easy party appetizer, movie snack, or accompaniment to your bowl of chili or soup this winter!
Making these crackers seems a little on the odd side. Pouring olive oil over crispy saltine crackers? Won’t that make them soggy? That was my first thought, but the scientist in me had to try it. I am still not sure why the saltine crackers stay perfectly crisp, but I don’t care. I will come back and eat box after box until I figure it out. Hence the name Comeback Crackers.
They are still crispy after a week, but your crackers will not last that long…
I have seen other Saltine Cracker Recipes that use Ranch dressing or just a hint of garlic powder and that is what inspired me to try these. Like this recipe from Mom on Timeout.
I wanted mine to have a little more spice to kick you in the mouth when you eat them. I decided to add my own All Purpose Steak Seasoning Mix that I have on hand all the time. It already has a bit of garlic, paprika, and of course, cayenne pepper. Perfect for a base!
Just mix the All Purpose Steak Seasoning Mix with your olive oil and a few other spices, whisk together, pour over your crackers, flip, and come back for more! Stock up on spices AND Saltines so you are not empty-handed as they “Comeback” for more!
- 1 box Saltine crackers (all 4 sleeves)
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons All Purpose Steak Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 large container (air-tight lid)
- Place all your crackers (all 4 sleeves) upright in a container. I used a square one but you can find one that fits them all. Standing them upright will help distribute the seasoning better.
- Mix you oil and spices together in a bowl.
- Whisk to combine.
- Drizzle over the crackers as evenly as possible. Make sure to scrape out all the seasoning in the bowl. You don't want to miss any.
- Seal the container.
- Flip the container upside down and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Every five minutes, for 30 minutes.
- That's it! Store in the container until all have been eaten. It won't take long for them to disappear, but you can store them for up to a week and they will stay crispy!