Need an afternoon “pick-me-up” without over-indulging? These little Powerballs are full of good for you ingredients like dates, macadamia nuts, coconut, and cocoa! All these yummy foods rolled into one perfect bite. Perfect for a post-workout snack.
Do you remember when the recent Powerball jackpot was over a billion dollars? Did you buy a ticket or two? My mom always said that you can’t win if you don’t play, so I bought a ticket for each drawing (over 300 million – got to have standards) leading up to the huge jackpot and five the day of the last drawing. Of course, I didn’t win but I had fun with my husband dreaming up what to do with the money. First thing would be a new kitchen. More like a new house, with a HUGE kitchen!! I’m talking a 1000 square foot kitchen with a few rooms for people to sleep in when they are not in the kitchen!
I will say that not winning left me a little depressed. I woke up and thought, I have to go downstairs and cook in my tiny, old kitchen. I know that I am blessed to have a husband that works so I can stay home and raise our children and pursue my blogging career and having a smaller, older house makes that financially viable. We live in a great school district and our house is close to the schools there.
I have a feeling that a lot of people were depressed that they didn’t win. What do you do when you are “down in the dumps?” I have a “pick-me-up!” Too many cliches?
These Powerballs of goodness will do just that. Give you an afternoon jolt of energy, curb your sweet tooth cravings, and you don’t have to feel guilty about indulging! They are Paleo and Whole30 approved! All the sweetness comes from the coconut and the dates and not refined sugar. Or chemical preservatives that you can’t pronounce. Quick to make with only 4 ingredients and travel well! Keep a bag in your purse for those cravings!
- 8 ounces dates (you can use Medjool but for this recipe I used Deglet Noor)
- 1/3 cup Macadamia Nuts (dry roasted)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa (I used this brand of cocoa powder)
- 1/8 cup toasted coconut flakes
- In a food processor, process the dates until they are in small pieces. This will be very sticky.
- Add in the macadamia nuts and unsweetened coconut flakes.
- Pulse until they are chopped into small pieces.
- Add the dates back in and the cocoa powder.
- Pulse until the cocoa powder is incorporated into the date mixture.
- Remove mixture and place in a bowl.
- If the mixture still doesn't look like it is incorporated all the way, knead a few more times in the bowl.
- With greased hands, roll the mixture into 1 inch balls.
- When all the powerballs are rolled, toss them in a bowl of the toasted coconut flakes to lightly dust the outside of them.
- Roll slightly in your hands to press the coconut into the balls a little more.
- Store in an air-tight container until ready to eat.
What do you do for a pick-me-up?
If you are looking for other snacks that will re-energize you, try these:
Also check out my friend over at Beaming Baker and these awesome No Bake Almond Butter Coconut Bites!