Last updated on January 19th, 2020 at 05:19 pm
Enjoy all the delicious flavors of a Caprese salad in a portable, flaky Caprese empanadas. Creamy mozzarella, fresh basil, rich sun-dried tomatoes, and spicy arrabbiata all rolled into a buttery crust!
Do you love a portable lunch? With my crazy days, I love something that I can eat while walking around, moving laundry from the washer to the dryer, and trying to photograph all the awesome recipes that I have in my head, I need something I can eat on the run.
What’s better than an empanada? A savory hand pie, full of gooey cheese, that will satisfy all your hunger needs!
What is an empanada? A baked or fried pastry filled with meat, cheese, or any other ingredients, originating in Latin and Filipino regions. The Spanish word empanada comes from the verb “empanar” which translates as “enbreaded” or wrapped and coated in bread.
The bread in this case is the buttery and flaky pastry which holds all the yummy fillings inside the empanada.
Just take me to the Caprese Empanadas Recipe Already!
If you’d rather skip my (very helpful, I think) tips and tricks, essential cooking info, and similar recipe ideas – and get straight to this delicious easy Caprese Empanadas recipe – simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
How to Make Empanadas
Empanadas are easy to make. It’s easy! Pastry and filling! You can choose meat, veggies, just cheese, as long as it’s yummy. Whether it’s spicy or not, the pastry just holds all you crave.
You can make the dough from scratch, if you are so inclined. A great recipe for dough is this one from the Flavor Bender. Dini so generously guest posted a spicy empanada recipe here when I was having a hard time and I have made it so many times since then.
If you can’t or don’t have time to make the sough from scratch, no judgement as I love a shortcut, I use these empanada dough discs from Goya. I haven’t come across them in the freezer section until we moved to Atlanta. I saw them while looking for Pizza Rolls for Connor and I grabbed all 17 packs of them.
You can use them for sweet or savory empanadas! I love a great shortcut so if I can find dough already made, it has to be good mind you, I will use it. I love the idea of making things from scratch and with love, but let’s be honest… I am busy, I have kids, I want to write recipes for you instead of kneading dough, and I need extra time to drink tequila so pre-made dough is my jam right now.
This post may contain affiliate links. I earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website. Your purchase helps support this blog at no additional cost to you and allows me to continue bringing you delicious recipes and funny stories. For my entire disclosure policy click here.
Caprese Empanadas Recipe
The most fun things about these empanadas is the Caprese part! I mean, who can deny fresh mozzarella, spicy tomato sauce, and a fresh basil leaf? All the best flavors all rolled up in a flaky and buttery crust.
Pack these for lunch or serve them for brunch!
This Caprese Empanadas recipe is inspired by Julie’s Cheese and Mushroom Empanada.
FAQs about Caprese Empanadas:
- Q: Can these be made ahead and frozen?
A: I would not recommend freezing the cooked or uncooked empanadas as the mozzarella cheese will get a funky texture in the process.
- Q: Can you use pie crust instead of empanada dough?
A: Yes, you can. You can use pie crust or even puff pastry. Julie used puff pastry so feel free to use whatever is handy!
- Q: Can I use fresh tomatoes instead of sun-dried tomato?
A: I wouldn’t recommend it. Fresh tomato is full of water so when it cooks, it will release a ton of water which will not allow the pastry to stay flaky.
- Q: Can I use my favorite tomato sauce or do I have to use arrabbiata sauce?
A: Feel free to use whatever sauce you prefer!
Other great empanada recipes!
- Chicken Caprese Salad
- Caprese Toast
- Tortellini Caprese Salad
- Caprese Bruschetta
- Caprese Tuna Salad
- Prosciutto-Wrapped Caprese Bites
- Caprese Crostini
- 20 Ways to Eat Caprese
- Caprese Dip
If you like reading my posts and seeing my recipes, connect with me on your favorite social media channel for behind the scenes photos and much, much more:
Sign up to receive a free email in your inbox with each new recipe:
If you love this Caprese Empanadas Recipe as much as I do, please write a five-star review in the comment section below (or on Pinterest with the “tried it” button – you can now add pictures into reviews, too!), and be sure to help me share on facebook!
Easy Caprese Empanadas Recipe
- 10 empanada dough discs
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella
- 10 fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 4 sun-dried tomatoes, sliced thin
Walnut Parsley Pesto
- 1 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup black walnuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- Make the Walnut Pesto Sauce
- Combine the parsley, toasted walnuts, olive oil, and vinegar in a food processor.
- Pulse until chopped fine.
- Remove and store in a container until ready to use.
- Make the Caprese Empanadas
- In the center of an empanada dough disc, add 1 tablespoon of tomato sauce, 1 slice of mozzarella cheese, 2 slices of sun-dried tomato, and a fresh basil leaf.
- Fold the disc in half, press out the air, and seal the edges.
- Fold the edges over and crimp closed or press a fork into the dough to seal the edges closed.
- Poke a few holes in the top to let the steam escape.
- Spray with non-stick spray.
- Place in the air fryer basket, being careful not to overcrowd or let them empanadas touch.
- Air fry at 325F for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove and let cool for a few minutes.
- Serve with Walnut Pesto sauce.
*If you like this recipe, please let me a comment and rate it with 5 stars. Thank you!
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. I EARN A SMALL COMMISSION FOR MY ENDORSEMENT, RECOMMENDATION, TESTIMONIAL, AND/OR LINK TO ANY PRODUCTS OR SERVICES FROM THIS WEBSITE. YOUR PURCHASE HELPS SUPPORT THIS BLOG AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU AND ALLOWS ME TO CONTINUE BRINGING YOU DELICIOUS RECIPES AND FUNNY STORIES. FOR MY ENTIRE DISCLOSURE POLICY CLICK HERE.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 2 empanadas
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 396 Total Fat: 118g Saturated Fat: 33g Trans Fat: 4g Unsaturated Fat: 74g Cholesterol: 137mg Sodium: 2440mg Carbohydrates: 167g Fiber: 12g Sugar: 10g Protein: 62g
Other Freaky Friday Recipes that I have made include, marinate olives, corn dip, and pepperoni pizza packets, but I have never had the pleasure of making one from Julie’s blog, Hostess at Heart.
I was so excited because I have known Julie for many years, almost all the years I have been blogging, and I get to meet her in person next month. But, I have made her recipes for years. Some of my favorite ones are Pizza Knots, Quick Fajita Pizza, and these Meat Pies. She had so many dips that I want to try but she is known for her bread making.
Definitely check out all of Julie’s recipes, you won’t be disappointed!
Take a look at all of our Summer 2019 Freaky Friday Recipes:
- An Affair from the Heart –Summer Fruit Salad with Honey Lime Poppy Seed Dressing
- Aunt Bee’s Recipes – Greek Chicken Salad with Lemon Oregano Dressing
- Bowl Me Over – Mexican Coleslaw
- House of Nash Eats – Instant Pot Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes
- LeMoine Family Kitchen – Easy White Pizza Tarts
- Lisa’s Dinnertime Dish – Thai Shrimp Curry
- Take Two Tapas – Caprese Empanadas
- The Speckled Palate – Cherry Bourbon Slush
- West Via Midwest – Cornbread Tamale Pie
- Who Needs a Cape? – Warm Bean Dip a.k.a. Texas Trash