Walking Tacos are a fun, delicious, and inexpensive way to feed a crowd! The perfect party food for game day and everyone can make them with all their favorite toppings!
What is a Walking Taco?
Have you heard of a walking taco before? Maybe you have already had one and didn’t know that it had a name. It’s essentially a taco in a bag that you can eat on the go!
Tacos make a quick meal and are a super easy way to serve a crowd. Better yet because you don’t have to wash all those dishes that a crowd can leave when the party is over.
How do you make one? The ingredients are the same as regular tacos just served family style and served in a bag!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my disclosure policy here.
Chips – Doritos (cool ranch and spicy nacho are my favorites)
Beef – Ground beef is best but you can use ground turkey or ground lamb.
My favorite taco toppings:
- taco seasoned ground beef, ground turkey, or shredded chicken
- chili, with or without beans
- nacho cheese sauce
- shredded lettuce
- diced tomatoes
- green onions, pickled red onions, taco pickles
- black beans, pinto beans
- salsa verde
- a dollop of sour cream
- lime juice
- green chiles
- shredded cheddar cheese
- pico de gallo
To get your crowd to start assembling their walking taco bags, put your toppings on a table so the crowd can see them and reach them easily. You can make a sign or just demonstrate with the first one.
How to make Walking Tacos or a Walking Taco Bar
First: Pick your bag of chips and open the bag at one end.
Second: Crush the bag with your hands or against the counter to crush them into bite-sized pieces.
Third: Add your ground beef mixture to the bag. Add nacho cheese sauce if you like.
Fourth: Top with lettuce, cheese, salsa, etc. Grab a fork and enjoy!
When you are done, just throw the chip bag away. NO DISHES!!
For the full recipe and detailed instructions, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
If you are a classic or purist and want your walking taco to be a Frito Pie in a bag, start with a bag of Fritos Corn Chips, add chili, cheese sauce, and chopped onions. BOOM!
Can I use any types of chips?
Frito chips are the most popular, but I prefer spicy nacho or cool ranch Doritos!
How to keep the warm ingredients warm while tailgating
I prefer to keep my taco meat warm in a crock pot but if you are traveling, you can place them in an oven proof dish and place in the grill to keep warm.
How many walking tacos per person do I need?
One walking taco per person is usually all you need but if you have hearty eaters, I would allow for 2 per person.
Are they gluten free?
If you use certified GF corn chips or specifically GF chips and taco seasonings then they are GF!
Tapas Tips & Tricks
- Fun way to serve a crowd at birthday parties, football games, Cinco de Mayo, and Taco Tuesday!
- Use homemade taco seasoning for the best flavor.
- Substitute ground chicken for the beef.
- This is a great way to use up leftover taco meat.
- If you don’t have small bags of chips, regular tortilla chips in a bowl work just as well!
If you love this recipe as much as I do, please write a five-star review in the comment section below (or on Pinterest with the “tried it” button – you can now add pictures into reviews, too!), and be sure to help me share on facebook!
When you need a great idea and an inexpensive way to serve a crowd, serve this easy walking taco recipe, enjoy time with great friends and delicious food, or a football game, and don’t worry about the clean up!
- 5 1-ounce bags Nacho Doritos
- 5 1-ounce bags Cool Ranch Doritos
- 5 1-ounce bags Kettle Chips
- 5 1-ounce bags Corn Chips
- 2 pounds ground beef, chicken, or turkey, cooked with taco seasoning, and drained
- 1 cup chili
- 1 cup cheese sauce
- 2 large tomatoes, diced small
- 2 cups lettuce, shredded
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups salsa
- 1 cup guacamole
- 1 cup pico de gallo
- 3 jalapeños, sliced
- 1 cup chopped onions
- Southwest or Taco Seasoning
- If you haven't already done so, cook your meat of choice with taco or southwest seasoning per package directions.
- Keep warm in a crock pot or in the oven, along with cheese sauce, and prepared chili.
- Prepare, chop, and slice all the toppings and put in serving bowls or containers.
- To prepare a walking taco, start by picking your chips.
- Open the bag and gently crush or smash the chips into small pieces.
- Add your favorite toppings to the bag of crushed chips.
- Stir and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 433Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 75mgSodium: 722mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 22g
This nutrition information was generated via a third party, Nutritionix, and can not be held liable for any discrepancies in the information provided.
More Easy Recipes
TakeTwoTapas.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.