Last updated on January 25th, 2020 at 06:57 pm
Sweet and smoky bacon wrapped shrimp is the best appetizer to serve your guests! Made in the air fryer they are ready in minutes. Serve with a chipotle cocktail sauce to round out the bite!
The Best Bacon Wrapped Shrimp
When looking for fancy foods to serve my guests I go straight to seafood for some reason. But not just any seafood as so many people are picky about the fish they eat, but shrimp!
Now this doesn’t help guests with shellfish allergies, but I will say that shrimp appetizers are always a hit!
What could possibly make the shrimp even better? BACON, of course! Everything is better with bacon. You may think that a bacon wrapped shrimp recipe is labor intensive and tricky to cook but let me assure you that this recipe is easy!
Oh, and I did I mention that it only has 3 ingredients?
If you’d rather skip my (very helpful, I think) tips and tricks, essential cooking info, and similar recipe ideas – and get straight to this delicious easy air fryer bacon wrapped shrimp recipe – simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
How to Make Bacon Wrapped Shrimp
This recipe only uses 3 ingredients, shrimp, bacon, and jalapeño. Not even salt and pepper are needed for this one! The bacon has plenty of flavor already and adding other seasonings may overshadow the flavor of the shrimp so let’s keep it simple.
If you are not a spicy foods fan you can skip the strips of jalapeño, but let me assure you that the air fryer and the bacon mellow out the heat.
Because there is only 3 ingredients, making the shrimp is easy too. Simply wrap the peeled shrimp and thin slice of jalapeño in a piece of bacon and they are ready to be cooked.
This post may contain affiliate links. I earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website. Your purchase helps support this blog at no additional cost to you and allows me to continue bringing you delicious recipes and funny stories. For my entire disclosure policy click here.
Shrimp and Bacon Recipes
Now some say use regular cut bacon and others say thick cut is better. I have a few tips on what to use if you like.
This recipe calls for 1 pound of shrimp but shrimp come in all sizes so be sure to pick the right size for this recipe.
Shrimp is classified by size, i.e. 21/25, 26/30. These numbers mean the number of shrimp in a pound. The higher the number (51/60) the smaller each individual shrimp is. 51/60 is typically found in a shrimp salad.
- 51/60 – small
- 41/50 – medium
- 36/40 – med large
- 31/35 – large
- 26/30 – extra large
- 21/25 – jumbo
- 16/20 – extra jumbo
The ones I use for this recipe are the 21/25 size and the typical serving would be 4-6 shrimp per person which is approximately 4 ounces. And I chose a medium thickness cut bacon.
The smaller the shrimp the thinner the bacon should be cut or you risk over cooking the shrimp before the bacon is crispy. If the bacon is too thin and the shrimp too large, the bacon will burn before the shrimp is cooked through.
These scenarios are both no good. Don’t ruin good shrimp or good bacon!
Hints for making Bacon Wrapped Shrimp in the Air Fryer
- Make sure you use raw shrimp with the shell on.
- Don’t use the deveined shrimp as it is butterflied or cut on the back and it will dry out while cooking.
- The bigger the shrimp the thicker cut of bacon you can use.
- Make sure you wear gloves or take precaution when handling the jalapeño.
- Cold bacon is easier to handle when wrapping the shrimp but slightly warmer bacon (almost room temp) can be wrapped more tightly and can be molded around the shrimp more completely.
- Chill the bacon wrapped shrimp in the fridge before cooking in the air fryer. This helps the bacon stay wrapped and keeps it from overcooking before the shrimp is done.
- If you place the shrimp in the fryer basket with the end of the bacon on the underside or on the bottom of the shrimp it will help the bacon from unraveling while cooking and you won’t need skewers or toothpicks.
- Preheat the air fryer so the bacon sears a little when you place it on the fry basket. This keeps it from sticking.
- Serve on a warm plate or keep the cooked ones in a warm oven while you are frying the subsequent batches.
Bacon Wrapped Appetizers
As with any appetizer involving strips of bacon being cooked you run the risk of the bacon shrinking, deforming, coming unraveled during the cooking process, or heaven forbid, falling off all together leaving your shrimp naked!
Wrapping the bacon around the shrimp while it is not too cold allows you to stretch the bacon tightly around the food. Once the bacon is in place, chill the bacon wrapped jalapeño shrimp in the fridge to firm up the bacon and cool it down. This will keep it from burning before the jumbo shrimp are cooked through.
Because we are using an air fryer to cook these, we are limited on space and need to cook the shrimp in batches. This works out perfectly because they cook quickly, you are always serving hot appetizers, and you can stop cooking when everyone is full and the remaining shrimp is already stored properly in the fridge until you are ready to cook them!
It’s once again time for Freaky Friday!! The quarterly secret blog hop, started by Michaela at An Affair From The Heart, where we cook recipes from each other’s sites, put our own spin on them, and share them with our readers!
The best part is that you don’t know who is making a recipe from your own site as it’s a secret so you don’t know until everyone publishes the recipe.
I love searching the list to see if I recognize any recipes, and then seeing who made one from my site and how they put their own spin on it!
For this round of Freaky Friday I was super excited to get Sandra from The Foodie Affair.
Sandra is like my twin/soul sister, in more ways than just our dark hair. She is self taught in the kitchen like me, she loves wine, her recipes are inspired by magazines and restaurants, and of course her mom. The only way we differ is that she’s a fitness lover and goal setter. She can do those for the both of us:)
She specializes in low carb and gluten-free recipes which I don’t usually make but all her food tastes so good I can’t even pick my favorite recipe.
If you have the chance, hop on over to her site, grab the recipes for her creamy sausage queso dip, her spicy tequila shrimp which I have made previously for a Freaky Friday Swap, these baked artichoke balls which I am going to try in my new air fryer, and these New Orleans BBQ shrimp.
This last one is especially close to my heart because my husband introduced BBQ shrimp to me and I thought he was crazy but it is so good!
Don’t forget her Bacon Wrapped Shrimp which was the starting point for this air fryer version!
Other Air Fryer Appetizers to try!
- air fryer chicken wings
- air fryer fried pickles
- air fryer avocado fries
- air fryer poppers
- air fryer toasted ravioli
- air fryer zucchini fries
- air fryer onion rings
- air fryer blooming onion
If you like reading my posts and seeing my recipes, connect with me on your favorite social media channel for behind the scenes photos and much, much more:
Sign up to receive a free email in your inbox with each new recipe:
Can I use any type of bacon?
I prefer to use the regular “cut” bacon instead of thick cut if the shrimp are smaller. See the hints section above for more detail.
Can I bake these in the oven if I don’t have an air fryer?
Yes, you can! Bake them on a regular baking sheet in the oven at 350F for 15 minutes or until the bacon is cooked through. Check on it frequently!
Do I need skewers or toothpicks to hold the bacon in place?
I didn’t because I placed the shrimp in the fryer basket with the end of the bacon down or under the shrimp to keep it from unraveling.
If you love this Easy Bacon Wrapped Shrimp Recipe as much as I do, please write a five-star review, and be sure to help me share on Facebook and Pinterest!
Easy Air Fryer Bacon Wrapped Shrimp Appetizer Recipe
- 1 pound raw shrimp (peeled with tails on)
- 1 pound bacon (12 slices cut in half)
- 1 jalapeño pepper (seeded and cut into thin strips)
- 1 cup cocktail sauce
- 1/4 cup chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (chopped fine)
- Preheat the air fryer at 390F for 5 minutes while you prep the shrimp.
Wrap the shrimp
- Cut your bacon slices in half.
- If you haven't already, slice the jalapeño thin.
- Peel the shrimp leaving the tail end on if you want to.
- Place a shrimp and a thin slice of jalapeño on one end of the shrimp.
- Roll the shrimp in the bacon wrapping it tightly.
- Chill the shrimp for 10-15 minutes to set the bacon.
Make the chipotle cocktail dipping sauce
- Mix the cocktail sauce and the chopped chipotle peppers together.
- Chill until ready to serve with the bacon wrapped shrimp.
Air Fry the shrimp
- Air Fry the shrimp by placing them in the air fryer basket.
- Don't crowd them and make sure there is space between them so the bacon can crisp and the pieces don't stick together.
- Fry for 5 minutes at 390F.
- Flip the shrimp and air fry for another 4-5 minutes.
- Remove to a plate with a paper towel while you cook the remaining shrimp. Feel free to place in the oven at the lowest setting to keep warm.
- Serve with Chipotle Cocktail Sauce!
If you love this recipe, please leave me a comment and rate it with 5 stars. Thank you and enjoy!
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. I EARN A SMALL COMMISSION FOR MY ENDORSEMENT, RECOMMENDATION, TESTIMONIAL, AND/OR LINK TO ANY PRODUCTS OR SERVICES FROM THIS WEBSITE. YOUR PURCHASE HELPS SUPPORT THIS BLOG AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU AND ALLOWS ME TO CONTINUE BRINGING YOU DELICIOUS RECIPES AND FUNNY STORIES. FOR MY ENTIRE DISCLOSURE POLICY CLICK HERE.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 465 Total Fat: 28g Saturated Fat: 9g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 17g Cholesterol: 170mg Sodium: 2119mg Carbohydrates: 14g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 5g Protein: 37g
Take a look at all of our Spring 2019 Freaky Friday Recipes:
- A Grande Life – Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip
- An Affair from the Heart – Margarita Dip with Salted Pretzels
- Aunt Bee’s Recipes – BLT Pasta Salad
- Bowl Me Over – Macaroni Pasta Salad
- Hostess at Heart – Blueberry Buckle Recipe – Incredibly Easy To Make
- House of Nash Eats – Asparagus Tart
- Kylee Cooks – No Bake Blueberry Cheesecake
- LeMoine Family Kitchen – Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas Tacos
- Life Currents – Blackened Shrimp Pasta
- Lisa’s Dinnertime Dish – Spicy Thai Basil Slaw
- Mildly Meandering – Mediterranean Scalloped Potatoes
- Seduction in the Kitchen – Grilled Peach Caprese Salad
- Take Two Tapas – Spicy Bacon Wrapped Air Fryer Shrimp
- The Foodie Affair – Coconut Pie with Creamy Custard Filling
- The Speckled Palate – Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese
- West Via Midwest – Air Fryer Cherry Pies
- Who Needs a Cape? – Slow Cooker Cheesy Taco Soup
@TakeTwoTapas.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encourages and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.