This creamy clam dip is a classic summertime dip. This easy-to-make dip requires only 10-minutes of prep and tastes best when served with plain ol’ potato chips! Make this delicious dip for your next gathering for everyone to enjoy!
Clam Dip Recipe
Clam Dip is a classic summertime appetizer.
This creamy dip is the perfect dish to bring to your warm-weather neighborhood gatherings, game day parties, and summertime holiday family get-togethers.
This ultra decadent and savory dip is easy-to-make, comes together in a matter of minutes, and is bursting with flavor.
Chock-full of creamy mayonnaise, tart sour cream, salty tender clams, tangy ranch seasoning, chives, and zesty herbs; this truly is the perfect barbecue get-together snack.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my disclosure policy here.
Clams – You can find canned minced clams by the packaged tuna in the grocery store. If you can only find whole canned clams, just be sure to dice or chop it very fine so it mixes well.
Clam juice – Canned clams are usually packaged in juice so no need to buy a bottle of clam juice, just reserve some of the juice from the can as this will help thin out the dip.
Mayonnaise – Feel free to use regular or light versions of your favorite real mayonnaise; mine is Duke’s. You can also substitute plain Greek yogurt or sour cream.
Sour cream – Full fat, reduced fat, or fat free works just fine for this recipe. If you don’t like sour cream, you can use plain yogurt. I like to use Greek yogurt as it’s a little thicker and tangier which is great with the saltiness of the clams.
Ranch seasoning – I like the extra flavor that ranch dressing mix has but you can also use a combination of garlic powder and onion powder.
Seasoning mix – This recipe calls for a mix of celery salt, sugar, and onion powder.
How to make Clam Dip
FIRST: In a medium bowl, mix all ingredients except the clams and juice.
SECOND: Drain the clams and reserve the juice. Add minced clams and mix until combined.
THIRD: Add a few splashes of clam juice to the clam mixture and stir until desired consistency. Adjust seasonings as desired.
FOURTH: Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. When ready to serve the dip, garnish with fresh chives and enjoy with potato chips and crackers.
For the full recipe and detailed instructions, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
What are the best clams for clam dip?
The best clams for clam dip are minced canned clams. If you’d prefer to have larger chunks of clams in your dip, opt to buy chopped clams instead of the recommended minced.
How to serve clam dip
This dip tastes best when it’s been allowed to chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to allow flavors to mix together. I love it simply served with potato chips.
Love to make dips with sour cream? I do because of the creamy texture and tangy flavor! Check out all my favorite Sour Cream Dip Recipes!
How long does it last?
Store any leftover dip in the fridge in an airtight container for 4 days.
Can I freeze it?
Freezing clam dip is not recommended as the sour cream and mayonnaise will change texture and consistency when defrosted.
Luckily, this dip can be made 4 days ahead of time which makes this the perfect meal prep appetizer.
Do canned clams need to be cooked?
No, no additional cooking needs to occur as the canning process cooks the clams. Canned clams are shelf-stable, which means they are ready to use whenever you are.
Tapas Tips & Tricks
- Make dip at least 30-minutes ahead of time and store in the fridge as this gives the flavors a chance to mix together for a delicious dip.
- If you are bringing this dip to an event where some guests aren’t fond of fish, place clams in a blender with the juice and pulse until the flesh is so tiny it will be undetectable in the dip!
- Bring sour cream and mayonnaise close to room temperature so the dip comes together quickly and easily.
- For a little kick, add in a few splashes of your favorite hot sauce. I like Tabasco sauce myself.
- If you don’t have chives, feel free to use sliced green onion.
- Feel free to swap in canned smoked fish, canned chopped oysters, or canned shrimp.
- Add in a couple teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce for a deeper savory flavor.
- If you want to use fresh clams, you will need to prep them before adding to the dip.
- A squeeze of lemon juice is great too!
If you love this recipe as much as I do, please write a five-star review in the comment section below (or on Pinterest with the “tried it” button – you can now add pictures into reviews, too!), and be sure to help me share on facebook!
This summertime classic clam dip recipe is perfect party appetizer for your next neighborhood gathering, game-day event, or warm-weather holiday party. This easy dip feeds a crowd and is oh-so-delicious there, won’t be any leftovers by the time your guests are finished!
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ½ teaspoon dry ranch seasoning mix
- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh chives (thinly sliced, additional for garnish)
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 (6.5-ounce) can minced clams (drained, juice reserved for later)
- In a medium size bowl, mix all ingredients except the clams and clam juice.
- Drain the clams, reserving the juice.
- Add in the clams and a few splashes of clam juice.
- Mix until well combined.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh chives and serve with chips and crackers of choice.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1/4 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 405Total Fat: 40gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 28gCholesterol: 57mgSodium: 1071mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 0gSugar: 3gProtein: 7g
This nutrition information was generated via a third party. I can not be held liable for any discrepancies in the information provided.
More Easy Appetizers
- Loaded Potato Skin Dip Skillet
- Air Fryer Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Cranberry Cream Cheese Dip
- Cream Cheese Dips
- Chocolate Caramel Shortbread Sandwiches
- Creamy Shrimp Scampi Dip
TakeTwoTapas.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.