Last updated on February 6th, 2020 at 01:07 pm
All the delicious flavors of an Almond Joy candy bar in a soft and chewy treat. Toasted coconut and almonds mixed with Rice Krispies cereal and marshmallows and drizzled with dark chocolate to make chewy treat squares. These Almond Joy Rice Krispies Treats Squares are amazing!
The ultimate childhood treat meets my favorite candy bar! Are you ready for these Almond Joy Rice Krispies Treats?
Let’s talk about my obsession with Almond Joy candy bars for just a moment, are you with me?
What’s in an Almond Joy Candy Bar?
- a creamy coconut center that tastes like heaven all by itself
- crunchy almonds that are nutritious so that’s a plus
- milk chocolate covering that melts slowly so your fingers don’t get all messy if you are a slow eater.
- the cousin of my second favorite candy bar
I love it so much! I indulge in the English version, Bounty, when I visit my family in the Bahamas and I am torn as to which one I like better. Of course, the Bounty Bar has slightly creamier chocolate, but it is a little harder to find in the US.
This post may contain affiliate links. I earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website. Your purchase helps support this blog at no additional cost to you and allows me to continue bringing you delicious recipes and funny stories. For my entire disclosure policy click here.
If the Mounds Bar has almonds in it, I would call the Mounds my favorite by a long shot because of one thing. The coating!
What is the difference between a Mounds Bar and an Almond Joy Bar?
- the Mounds bar doesn’t have almonds, just like the commercial jingle suggests, DUH!
- the chocolate coating on the Mounds Bar is dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate.
This second reason is why I love the Mounds bar so much! The dark chocolate gives the right balance to the creamy and sweet coconut center. The dark chocolate is my favorite but with the creamy coconut center and the dark chocolate, you need a contrast in texture which is where the almond comes in!
This is why I love them so much and why I can’t seem to get enough of them. Where else can I incorporate these flavors along with a little more texture?
The flavors of the Almond Joy and Mounds Bars beg to be added to other treats so I how about a childhood favorite that is also easy to make? Enter the Rice Krispies Treats!
Rice Krispies Treats require only 3 ingredients, 5 minutes, and are fun to make with the kids. Butter, marshmallows, and cereal and bam you have a delicious treat.
When the boys were little I experimented with other cereals instead of Rice Krispies like Lucky Charms, Trix, and Cocoa Krispies and they were a huge hit! I think I will add these to the blog later on in the summer after Connor and I do a little more experimentation, and maybe find a new cereal combination you will like.
But for today, let’s stick with Almond Joy and the Original Rice Krispies Cereal.
I start with the original recipe for the treat squares : 3 tablespoons of butter, 4 cups of mini marshmallows, and 6 cups of rice cereal. To add the Almond Joy and Mounds Bar flavors I grab some toasted almonds, toasted coconut chips, and chocolate – milk and dark.
I prefer the toasted almonds because toasting enhances the flavor of the almonds which also why I love the toasted coconut chips too. That and they are bigger than the coconut shreds.
The toasted coconut chips I use I get from Trader Joe’s but there are also a few brands at my local grocery store. I think some salted caramel ones might be interesting in these Almond Joy Rice Krispies Treats too!
For the chocolate component, I use mini milk chocolate chips in the treats and then drizzle the top of the finished treat squares with melted dark chocolate. This way the treats have both milk chocolate and dark chocolate in them.
Rice Krispies Treats are such an easy recipe to make but also lend themselves to additional flavor variations because of their subtle vanilla flavor.
Any of your favorite candy bar ingredients or other childhood candy obsessions pair nicely with the crispy rice cereal. What variations will you try after you make these Almond Joy Rice Krispies Treats Squares?
These Almond Joy Rice Krispies Treats Squares will bring you back to your childhood with a nostalgic treat and my favorite candy bar!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups marshmallows
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1/2 cup almonds (toasted, chopped)
- 1/2 cup toasted coconut chips
- 1 cup mini milk or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 ounces dark chocolate
- Spray a pan with non-stick spray. (I used a 10 x 10 cake pan but a 9 x 13 will work too)
- Combine the cereal, almonds, coconut chips, and mini chips in a large bowl. Reserve a few coconut chips and almonds for a garnish later. Spray bowl with non-stick spray before adding ingredients for easier stirring.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the marshmallows and stir until they are fully melted and incorporated with the butter.
- Pour the marshmallow and butter mixture over the cereal mixture.
- Stir quickly to incorporate the marshmallow into all the cereal mixture. It helps if you spray the spatula with non-stick spray before you start stirring.
- Once the marshmallow is mixed in, pour the treats into the prepared pan.
- Press down with the spatula or your hand to even out the Almond Joy Rice Krispies Treats Squares.
- Let cool.
- Cut into squares.
- Melt the dark chocolate in the microwave at 30-second intervals.
- Drizzle the squares with the chocolate and sprinkle with reserved coconut chips and almonds.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
*If you like this recipe, please leave me a comment and rate it with some stars. Thank you!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 195Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 121mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 1gSugar: 14gProtein: 3g