Chocolate Frosted Sugar Cookie Bars are light and buttery sugar cookie triangles topped with decadent chocolate and chopped nuts.
Whip up a batch and enjoy a treat in the afternoon with a nice cup of coffee or tea!
CHOCOLATE FROSTED SUGAR COOKIES
Nothing beats a frosted sugar cookie! Add on a chocolate frosting with nuts, and this sugar cookie bar recipe gets a five-star rating!
Delicate and light these sugar cookie bars topped with melted chocolate that will melt in your mouth.
A delicious and thick sugar cookie recipe you bake in a pan, slice, and serve.
This also makes an incredible Christmas cookie bar for the holidays.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my disclosure policy here.
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO YOU NEED TO MAKE SUGAR COOKIES FROM SCRATCH?
- chocolate chips
Unsalted Butter – If you opt to use salted butter, then omit the salt in the recipe, or your cookies will be too salty.
Granulated Sugar – Sugar is a must-have item for cookies. It helps to sweeten the sugar cookies perfectly and cut through the butter.
Large Egg – It is important to use a large room-temperature egg. This will help the dough form together properly and keep the ingredients from clumping.
Vanilla Extract – Vanilla will help to add depth to your cookies. Some sugar cookie recipes use the almond extract as well. I opted for just vanilla but feel free to add a small dash of almond extract for added flavor.
All-Purpose Flour – Make sure that when you measure your flour, you measure it properly. Spoon the flour into your measuring cup and then level with a knife. Do not scoop into your bag. If you use too much flour in the cookies, they will be dry, break apart, and not turn out light and fluffy.
Chocolate Chips – The chocolate chips get melted and poured over the cooked cookie bars. I love the melted chocolate instead of chocolate frosting; it makes these frosted cookies so unique in flavor.
Nuts – I chopped up walnuts and pecans, but you can leave the nuts out or swap with your favorite nut.
HOW TO MAKE FROSTED SUGAR COOKIE BARS
ONE: Preheat the oven to 350F. Prepare the sugar cookie dough by creaming the butter and sugar together. Add in the vanilla, eggs, salt, and flour. Mix to combine.
TWO: Line a square 9×9 baking pan with parchment paper.
Press cookie dough evenly into pan to form an even layer. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
THREE: Cool completely in the pan. Chop nuts and set aside. Melt chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. Pour chocolate over cookie bars and spread with offset spatula into an even layer. Immediately add chopped nuts.
FOUR: Let the chocolate harden for 15 minutes. Remove the bars from the pan using the parchment paper. Cut into triangles and enjoy.
Store in airtight container for up to 1 week.
For the full recipe and detailed instructions, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
WHAT SIZE PAN DO I USE?
For this cookie recipe, I used a 9×9 pan. If you want, you are more than welcome to double the cookie recipe and then use a 9×13 pan to double the recipe.
CAN I FREEZE THEM?
If you are not sure if frosted sugar cookies can be frozen, the answer is yes. Just allow your cookies to be thoroughly cooled. Then you can place it in a freezer container and freeze it for 2-3 months.
If you are going to freeze them, I recommend leaving the chocolate off. If you freeze it and thaw it, the chocolate will have an ashy color and lose it’s texture.
Thaw on the counter for an hour to defrost. Or you can place the sugar cookies in the fridge overnight to thaw slowly! Frost with the melted chocolate after thawing.
HOW LONG WILL THEY LAST?
This cookie recipe will store for around 4-5 days on the counter. Like any cookie, as it sits out, it will begin to dry out a bit. I recommend eating the cookies within the first 1-3 days for the sugar cookies’ best quality.
TAPAS TIPS & TRICKS
- Feel free to use buttercream frosting instead of melted chocolate. Or any other frosting of choice.
- Parchment paper is a great way to line your pan to remove the cookie bars from the pan easily. Use cooking spray to spritz on the bottom before adding the cookie dough.
- Sprinkle on Christmas m&m, sprinkles, or other topping ideas to dress up this easy recipe into a holiday cookie.
- Make sure you allow the cookies to cool completely before you store them.
- Try topping them with a classic cream cheese frosting instead!
If you love this recipe as much as I do, please write a five-star review in the comment section below (or on Pinterest with the “tried it” button – you can now add pictures into reviews, too!), and be sure to help me share on facebook!
MORE EASY PARTY APPETIZERS
- Margarita Bars
- No Bake Peanut Butter Bars
- Peanut Butter Pretzel Bars
- Layered Cereal Bars
- Taco Ring
- Edible Cookie Dough
FROSTED SUGAR COOKIE BARS RECIPE
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chocolate chips, milk or semi-sweet
- ¼ cup chopped mixed nuts, like walnuts and pecans
- In a large bowl, beat the butter until light and fluffy.
- Add sugar and salt and beat until well combined and pale yellow.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla until well combined.
- Gradually add the flour and beat until well combined.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a square baking pan with parchment paper.
- Press cookie dough evenly into pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean and the edges are just starting to turn light brown.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- Chop nuts and set aside.
- Melt chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl stirring at 30 second intervals until smooth.
- Pour chocolate over cookie bars and spread with offset spatula into en even layer.
- Immediately top with chopped nuts. Let harden 15 minutes.
- Remove the cookie bars from the pan using the parchment paper.
- Cut into triangles and store in airtight container for up to 1 week.
*If you love this recipe as much as I do, please leave me a comment and rate it 5 stars. Thank you!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 36 Serving Size: 1 triangle
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 144Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 40mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 1gSugar: 9gProtein: 2g
This nutrition information was generated via a third party. I can not be held liable for any discrepancies in the information provided.
TakeTwoTapas.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.