As much as everyone loves cheese, no one is going to want to be the first one to break into this little guy – he’s too cute! With only 6 ingredients, this Hedgehog Cheese Ball is not only one of my favorite easy recipes, it gets a ton of compliments on how creative it is.
Table of contents
Hedgehog Cheese Ball Recipe
As my current favorite cheese ball recipe, I recently made this for a woodland themed baby shower and it was a hit with everyone there. The best part was that I made it at the last minute and it didn’t take much time at all.
I was able to create this easy cheese ball recipe for all of you to follow so that you can have an adorable cheese ball hedgehog at your next party.
If you like this cutie, check out all my sweet cheese balls for more inspiration!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my disclosure policy here.
Cream cheese – Substitute low fat, or fat free cream cheese
White cheddar cheese – Replace with the soft cheese of your choice.
Worcestershire sauce – If needed, create a substitute out of sugar, soy sauce, and lemon juice.
Ranch dressing mix – If you can’t find ranch dressing mix, switch out for onion soup mix.
Pecan halves – Swap out for sliced almonds if you don’t like pecans.
Raisins – Use dried cranberries or cherries if need be.
How To Make A Hedgehog Cheese Ball
FIRST: Start by combining softened cream cheese and shredded cheddar cheese until combined. Be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
Combine Worcestershire sauce and ranch dressing mix with cheese mixture.
SECOND: Wrap with a piece of plastic wrap and form into a ball. Create a cone that is smaller at one end and wider on the other. Chill until firm enough to decorate.
THIRD: When ready, remove plastic wrap. Place on a serving platter and decorate with remaining chopped pecans and raisins.
FOURTH: Serve cheese spread with crackers!
For the full recipe and detailed instructions, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Can I Make This Recipe Ahead Of Time?
This hedgehog cheese ball can be made several days ahead of time.
Just put together and store in an airtight container in the fridge, and decorate with the pecans the day you serve it.
How Can I Store My Leftovers?
The next day after the party and you still have some left? To store leftovers, simply remove the pecans before chilling the cream cheese mixture.
Is There A Way To Make This Recipe Bite-Sized?
For even more cuteness, you can make mini cheese ball bites in the same way that you made the big hedgehog cheese ball. These Pepper Jelly Mini Cheese Balls are similar in size and shape.
Just shape out small parts of the cream cheese mixture into cones, and add on the pecans and raisins the same way you would on the large one.
Tapas Tips & Tricks
- To soften cream cheese, leave out on the counter for a few hours until room temperature.
- For the smoothest consistency, use a food processor or electric mixer to mix all of your ingredients before you shape the hedgehog.
- Want the best tasting ranch? Create your own dressing mix, using a spice grinder to grind and mix all your spices together into a smooth blend.
- Get the best presentation for your dish by cleaning up any mess around the plate with a paper towel before serving.
- You can go with just an oval shape or you can go for a more pointed nose to be closer to a true hedgehog shape.
- If the cream cheese mixture is too stiff, mix in a little sour cream.
If you love this recipe as much as I do, please write a five-star review in the comment section below (or on Pinterest with the “tried it” button – you can now add pictures into reviews, too!), and be sure to help me share on facebook!
People go crazy for this Hedgehog Cheese Ball because of its undeniably cute appearance – and for the delicious flavor that it brings to any party! This is perfect for any event, from a potluck or baby shower to Thanksgiving or a housewarming party. With only 6 ingredients and 6 steps, it’ll be hard to find a cuter, easier recipe to make!
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 8 ounces white cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ounce packet of Ranch dressing mix
- 1 cup pecan halves for decoration
- Raisins for eyes (can sub black olives)
- Combine the softened cream cheese and shredded cheddar cheese. Mix to combine.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce and ranch dressing mix. Stir to combine.
- Put mixture into plastic wrap and form into a ball. Then form into a cone with it smaller at one end and wider at the other.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour or until firm enough to decorate.
- When ready to serve, remove the plastic wrap.
- Place on the serving platter and decorate with the pecan halves and raisins.
- Serve with crackers.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 330Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 57mgSodium: 556mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 10g
This nutrition information was generated via a third party. I can not be held liable for any discrepancies in the information provided.
More Easy Appetizers
TakeTwoTapas.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.