Fruity Pebbles Treats are a fun twist on the classic no-bake bar made with original Rice Krispies cereal. Made with just 3 ingredients, this bright, colorful, and unique dessert is ready in just 5 minutes!
Table of contents
- Fruity Pebble Rice Crispy Treats
- Why you will love this recipe
- Ingredients You’ll Need
- How to make Fruity Pebbles Treats
- Can I make this on the stove top?
- What size pan should I use?
- Can I freeze them?
- How do I keep the marshmallows from sticking to my hands and spatula?
- Why are my treats hard?
- Are Fruity Pebbles treats gluten free?
- Marshmallow Substitutions
- Tapas Tips & Tricks
- More Easy Finger Foods
Fruity Pebble Rice Crispy Treats
Fruity Pebbles is one sugary cereal that is frequently found in my pantry because the whole family loves it. So, when my kids asked for homemade Rice Krispie treats one day, and all I had on hand was Fruity Pebbles, I swapped in this unique ingredient, and boy, were they a hit!
And if you are like us and love a tasty marshmallow-based dessert, these Fruity Pebbles treats offer just enough of a twist to be a perfect crowd-pleasing snack.
Each bar is exploding with that iconic fruity flavor of the Fruity Pebbles cereal while offering the traditional ooey-gooey marshmallow stickiness that the kids (and adults!) know and love from the classic.
So, when you need to whip up an easy snack that feeds a crowd and that the kiddos can help with, be sure to make these Fruity Pebbles Rice Krispie Treats; they’re a fruity twist on a classic but still just as delicious!
Why you will love this recipe
- Kids love to make AND eat them!
- No bake recipe which I always love
- The base is 3 ingredients (that I always have on hand!)
- Bright, colorful, and unique!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Fruity Pebbles Cereal
Cereal – A regular size box of Fruity Pebbles (11 ounces) is just the right amount. It contains roughly 6 cups of cereal.
Marshmallows – This recipe uses 10.5 ounces of mini marshmallows. This is the size of a standard bag of minis. It is equal to approximately 6 cups of minis.
Butter – I usually cook with unsalted butter so I can control the amount of salt. If you have salted butter, just omit the Kosher salt later in the recipe.
Salt – The salt really brings this recipe together. Because the cereal and the marshmallows are sweet, I like to balance things with some salt.
Some recipes use vanilla extract for more flavor but I like the salt better.
How to make Fruity Pebbles Treats
First: Prepare a 9×9 baking dish with non stick spray. Set aside. Pour cereal into a large bowl and set aside.
Second: In a large mixing bowl (I prefer a glass one) combine the marshmallows (reserve 1 cup for stirring in later) and the butter. Heat in the microwave, in 20 second intervals, until melted. Stir to combine.
Third: Pour the melted butter and marshmallow mixture into the cereal. Quickly stir with a spatula to coat the cereal. Pour in the reserved marshmallows and stir again.
Fourth: Press into the prepared pan into an even single layer. Let set up. Cut and enjoy!
For the full recipe and detailed instructions, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Can I make this on the stove top?
You certainly can. Use this method:
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows (reserving 1 cup) and continuously stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
- Add in Fruity Pebbles cereal and gently mix until the cereal is coated.
- Pour in the reserved marshmallows and stir again.
- Press into the prepared pan into an even single layer. Let set up. Cut and enjoy!
What size pan should I use?
This recipe uses an 9×9 pan. For a thicker bar, I recommend using a 8×8 baking dish. If you prefer thinner treats, feel free to use a 9×13 baking dish.
Can I freeze them?
Yes, you can! So, be sure to double the batch – one to enjoy now and one to freeze for later!
You can pre-slice into bars or keep as a whole sheet, but the key is to wrap the whole thing in cling wrap; Ensuring that no parts of the fruity pebbles treats are exposed.
Once fully wrapped, place in a freezer safe storage bag; making sure to squeeze out as much air as possible prior to sealing. Store in the freezer for up to 6 weeks.
When ready to enjoy, allow Fruity Pebbles Rice Krispie Treats to come to room temperature on the counter. Once thawed, enjoy!
How do I keep the marshmallows from sticking to my hands and spatula?
Coat your hands and spatula with non-stick cooking spray. This will help prevent your fingers (and spatula) from sticking to the sticky mixture and makes it easier to handle when pressing into the baking dish.
You can also spray a sheet of wax paper and use that to press the Fruity Pebbles treats into the pan.
Why are my treats hard?
There is nothing more disappointing than biting into a hard rice Krispie treat; however, there are a few reasons they did not turn out as expected:
- overcooked marshmallows
- stale cereal
- pressing too hard when placing into baking dish
Are Fruity Pebbles treats gluten free?
Yes, as long as you use gluten-free cereal and marshmallows. Kraft Jet-Puffed marshmallows are gluten-free, but if you plan on using another brand, be sure to check ingredients prior to using.
- 8 large marshmallows equal 1 cup of mini marshmallows.
- If you only have large marshmallows on hand, cut into 4 or 6 pieces to help them melt quicker.
- Feel free to use a jar of marshmallow fluff or marshmallow creme, keeping in mind that a 7-ounce jar equals 1.5 cups of mini marshmallows.
Tapas Tips & Tricks
- Don’t overcook the marshmallows as they will get hard.
- Use fresh cereal.
- Stir gently. The Fruity Pebbles cereal is thin and fragile.
- Prep your hands and spatula with nonstick spray to keep them from sticking.
- Use a large bowl or pot to mix everything to make it easier.
- Prepare pan with spray and press the treats in it quickly. They will start to set up fast!
- Store the cereal treats in an airtight container at room temperature and they will keep their chewy texture.
If you love this recipe as much as I do, please write a five-star review in the comment section below (or on Pinterest with the “tried it” button – you can now add pictures into reviews, too!), and be sure to help me share on facebook!
Fruity Pebbles Krispie Treats are a bright, colorful, and unique twist on the classic recipe. A kid-friendly, simple no-bake dessert that requires only 3-ingredients and 5-minutes to whip up!
More Easy Finger Foods
- 10.5 ounces mini marshmallows
- 6 tablespoons butter (unsalted)
- 6 cups Fruity Pebbles cereal (1 regular size box)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt (optional)
- Prepare a 9x9 baking dish by spraying it with nonstick spray or lining with a nonstick foil or parchment paper.
- Pour the cereal into a large bowl and set aside.
- In a large, microwave safe bowl, combine the marshmallows and butter. Keep 1 cup of the marshmallows for stirring in later. I prefer to use a glass bowl over a plastic one.
- Heat in the microwave, in 20 second intervals until melted. Stir until smooth.
- Pour the marshmallow mixture into the cereal. Quickly stir with a spatula to coat the cereal. Add the cup of reserved marshmallows and stir again.
- Scoop the cereal mixture into the prepared pan and press into a single layer. Let set up at room temperature.
- Cut into 16 squares and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1 bar
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 152Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 199mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 0gSugar: 15gProtein: 1g
This nutrition information was generated via a third party. I can not be held liable for any discrepancies in the information provided.
TakeTwoTapas.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.