Last updated on November 3rd, 2020 at 01:52 pm
Elf Snack Mix that is perfect Christmas Chex mix for KIDS of all ages!
This mix is filled with assorted cereals, SALTY pretzels, SWEET M&M’s, and drizzled with FESTIVE colored melted chocolate.
If you’d rather skip my (very helpful, I think) tips and tricks, essential cooking info, and similar recipe ideas – and get straight to this delicious & easy recipe – simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
Christmas Chex Mix
This is the time of year for family, friends, and traditions. And all those seasonal movies that we all love!
Our holiday traditions include:
- exchanging ornaments and those are the only ones on the tree. It was bare those early years LOL.
- watching Christmas Vacation the night we decorate the tree.
- hot chocolate (coffee with holiday spirit for adults) and watching the movie ELF a few days before Christmas Eve.
- making snacks for Santa, all the reindeer, and the Elf so he can’t wreak havoc!
This Elf Snack Mix is his favorite Christmas treat and is always gone by morning.
Christmas Chex Mix Ingredients
- maple syrup
- honey roasted peanuts
- assorted cereal (Corn Pops, Honey Nut Cheerios, Rice Chex)
- pretzel sticks
- M&M candies
- white and semi-sweet chocolate chips
- red candy melts
This post may contain affiliate links. I earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website. Your purchase helps support this blog at no additional cost to you and allows me to continue bringing you delicious recipes and funny stories. For my entire disclosure policy click here.
How do you make Christmas Snack Mix with M&Ms
STEP ONE: Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
STEP TWO: In a large bowl, mix together honey roasted peanuts, corn pops, Honey Nut Cheerios, Rice Chex, and pretzel sticks. Set aside.
STEP THREE: In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and maple syrup. Pour the butter/maple syrup mixture of the cereal mix. Stir well to coat everything.
STEP FOUR: Pour the coasted cereal mixture onto the cookie sheet. Cook in a pre-heated oven for 20 minutes. Gently mix to break any big clusters into bite sized pieces. Put back in the oven for 10 minutes.
STEP FIVE: During the last 10 minutes, in a microwave-safe bowl melt the candy melts and the white chocolate chips. After the 10 minutes, pour your melted candy cane mixture over the cookie sheet.
STEP SIX: Sprinkle your chocolate chips and let it cool completely. Break in small pieces and enjoy!
I love making it with my kids and it’s one of the few baked snack mixes without corn syrup so that is a huge plus for me!
How do I keep my Chex mix from getting soggy?
Make sure the butter/syrup mixture is evenly distributed over the cereal. Bake until the snack mix is dry.
You might need to add a few more minutes in the oven to acheive this.
How to store holiday treats
Once it is completely cooled, store in airtight containers until ready to eat.
How long does it last?
If your elves don’t eat it all the first night, this cute Christmas snack will last for 7 days at room temperature.
Holiday Chex Mix Variations
*For gluten free, choose gluten free cereals and pretzels.
*Try wheat Chex and other whole wheat cereals/pretzels if desired.
*Add in festive holiday sprinkles or candies if desired (peppermints are great here!)
*Switch out the semi-sweet chocolate chips for cinnamon, peanut butter, caramel, or dark chocolate varieties.
*Use different nuts like cashews, pistachios, or pecans instead of peanuts.
What are your favorite holiday snacks and traditions?
Take Two Tapas Tips for Elves
- I like to melt the candy in 30 seconds intervals at 50% power mixing in between each interval.
- When you pour the candy melt mixture over and sprinkle the chocolate chips, it is important to let it cool off completely to allow time for the candy melt mixture to set and so the chocolate chips will keep their shape.
- When melting the candy melt in the microwave I use 50% intervals because I found out it has a better result for the chocolate, more shine.
- You can also melt your chocolate in a small saucepan over a double boiler.
- If you don’t have parchment paper for the cookie sheet, you can use a silicone mat.
- If you don’t have either, butter the baking sheet really well so the coating mixture doesn’t stick to it.
This Chex mix recipe is should be called Christmas Crack! It’s perfect for movie nights (like most of our traditions) or easy Christmas treats to give as gifts.
Add it to your holiday baking list of Christmas sweets!
If you love this recipe as much as I do, please write a five-star review in the comment section below and be sure to help me share on facebook!
other snack mixes to make
- Buckeye Snack Mix
- Mexican Hot Chocolate Snack Mix
- Caramel Apple Snack Mix
- German Chocolate Popcorn
- Tropical Popcorn Snack Mix
Elf Snack Mix Recipe
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup honey roasted peanuts
- 1 cup Corn Pops cereal
- 1 cup Honey Nut Cheerios
- 1 cup Rice Chex cereal
- 1 ¼ cup Pretzel sticks
- ½ cup M&M candies
- 1 ½ cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup red candy melt wafers
- ½ cup white chocolate chip
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together honey-roasted peanuts, corn pops, Cheerios, Rice Chex, and pretzel sticks. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, over medium heat mix together butter and maple syrup until butter is melted.
- Pour the butter/maple syrup mixture of the cereal mix. Stir well to coat everything.
- Pour the coasted cereal mixture onto the cookie sheet. Cook in a pre-heated oven for 20 minutes.
- Gently mix to break any big clusters. Put back in the oven for 10 minutes.
- During the last 10 minutes, in a microwave-safe bowl melt the candy melt and the white chocolate chips.
- After the 10 minutes, pour your melted candy cane mixture over the cookie sheet. Sprinkle your chocolate chips and let it cool completely.
- Once cooled, break in small pieces and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 15 Serving Size: 1 handful
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 350Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 158mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 3gSugar: 35gProtein: 5g
This nutrition information was generated via a third party, Nutritionix, and can not be held liable for any discrepancies in the information provided.
@TakeTwoTapas.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encourages and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.