Crock Pot Little Smokies are mini cocktail sausages simmered in a SWEET and SAVORY BBQ sauce.
A SUPER EASY slow cooker appetizer that takes LESS THAN 5 minutes to put together and always gets RAVE REVIEWS.
If you’d rather skip my essential cooking tips and tricks and get straight to this delicious recipe – simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
CROCKPOT LITTLE SMOKIES
These tasty and meaty bites that are often served at cocktail parties are known by many names…
- cocktail weenies
- cocktail sausages
- bbq weenies
- cocktail wieners
- mini sausages
I just call them delicious!
At any party, you can always find me hanging out by the food table, more specifically the slow cooker, and inhaling these little BBQ goodies!
Make these addicting little smokies recipe, with the help of a crockpot, for potlucks, family gatherings, and most importantly super bowl GAME DAY!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my disclosure policy here.
This simple recipe uses just 3 simple ingredients!
SLOW COOKER LIL SMOKIES INGREDIENTS
- BBQ Sauce (recipe below)
- Li’L Smokies sausages
- Additional spices (if desired)
WHAT ARE LITTLE SMOKIES?
Little Smokies or the brand name (Li’L Smokies) are simply smoked sausages! They are sausages so mostly made from pork but you can get them in beef, chicken, turkey, and Polish sausage too!
There is also a flavor with cheddar cheese!!
HOW TO COOK LITTLE SMOKIES
STEP ONE: Add the little smokies to the crockpot.
STEP TWO: Pour sauce over the sausages and stir to combine. Cook on low for 20-30 minutes or until cocktail sausages are heated through.
STEP THREE: Continue to cook on low heat for an additional 15-20 minutes. Serve immediately!
For the full recipe and detailed instructions, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
DO LITTLE SMOKIES NEED TO BE COOKED?
They come fully cooked in the package and are just meant to be heated through. I certainly enjoy mine warm.
CCAN YOU EAT LITTLE SMOKIES RAW?
Technically they are already cooked so they can be consumed raw or cold, but I like to heat mine through to make sure they are safe to eat according to food safety guidelines.
CAN YOU MAKE THESE IN THE INSTANT POT?
You sure can! Add everything to your instant pot, stir to coat, close lid and seal.
Cook on low pressure for 2 minutes and then less the steam release naturally for 5-6 minutes. Finish with a quick release, open, and enjoy!
HOW DO YOU COOK PLAIN LITTLE SMOKIES?
These babies are already cooked but I like to heat mine with the yummy sauce to add even more flavor to them.
You can simmer them in a pot with your sauce of choice on the stove, but I prefer to make mine in a crockpot.
A lot less work and it keeps them warm without you having to stir them during your party.
WHAT IS THE BBQ LITTLE SMOKIES SAUCE?
I make my own BBQ sauce for this recipe but feel free to use your favorite bottled brand. Just be sure to add a little Worcestershire sauce and some extra garlic powder.
For making my BBQ sauce homemade, I like to mix together a combination of:
- brown sugar
- Worcestershire sauce
- garlic powder
- onion powder
Feel free to use 1 ¾ cup of your favorite barbecue sauce or homemade recipe if you have one!
This smokies sauce is amazing!! But you can also switch up the flavor profile to suit your taste!
LIL SMOKIES FLAVOR VARIATIONS
- SWEETER: Try adding maple syrup, molasses, honey , or orange juice to make them a little sweeter.
- SPICIER: These are great with buffalo sauce, hot sauce, or chopped green chilies and cumin.
- TANGY: Try using equal parts grape jelly (or cranberry, apple, orange marmalade) with chili sauce or ketchup.
- MORE FLAVOR: Add 1/2 cup of your favorite cola (Coke, Dr. Pepper, etc.) or your favorite spirit like bourbon or beer.
HOW DO YOU THICKEN BBQ LITTLE SMOKIES SAUCE?
To thicken the sauce up after cooking, add a little cornstarch mixed with water (1 teaspoon) and pour in. Cook for another 5-10 minutes.
HOW LONG DO SLOW COOKER LITTLE SMOKIES LAST?
If you happen to have leftovers (which I never do!) just store them in an air tight container in the fridge. They will last for 3-5 days.
To reheat them, just pop in the microwave for 1-2 minutes, stirring in the middle, or reheat in a pot on the stove.
CCAN YOU FREEZE THEM?
Yes, you can! Make the bbq little smokies ahead of time, cool completely, and store the lil smokies and sauce in the freezer for up to 2 months. Just thaw and reheat as you like.
TAPAS TIPS & TRICKS
- Use your favorite BBQ sauce or make my recipe!
- The recipe only calls for 45 minutes of cooking but the longer they simmer (closer to 2 hours) the more flavor they get!
- Cook ahead of time and set your slow cooker to the warm setting to keep them hot during your event.
- Use dark brown sugar and a dab of honey or molasses to add some more sweetness to the sauce.
- Serve with toothpicks or cocktail forks for easier eating.
- Garnish them with parsley, sliced green onions, or even cooked bacon crumbles for even more flavor!
- Use crockpot liners for easier clean up.
Every time I bring out this delicious appetizer, they are gone in minutes.
Because they are so easy to put together, you can enjoy them as a hearty snack any time!
WHAT DO YOU SERVE WITH LITTLE SMOKIES?
- crockpot bbq meatballs
- cream cheese sausage balls
- sweet and spicy bacon crackers
- bbq chicken crockpot
- crockpot hot dogs
- sweet and sour meatballs
- spicy sausage empanadas
CROCKPOT LITTLE SMOKIES RECIPE
- 2 (14oz) packages of little smokie sausages
- 1 cup ketchup
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- Make the BBQ sauce by combining, ketchup, brown sugar, and vinegar. Whisk together until well combined. Add in Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder and onion powder. Whisk again until well combined
- Put the two packages of little smokies into the crockpot and cook on low heat for 20-30 minutes, or until sausages are heated through.
- Pour sauce into the crockpot and stir to coat all of the smokies. Continue to cook at low heat for an additional 15-20 minutes or until everything is heated through.
- Serve warm.
*If you love this recipe as much as I do, please leave me a comment and rate it 5 stars. Thank yo!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 175Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 534mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 0gSugar: 31gProtein: 2g
This nutrition information was generated via a third party, Nutritionix, and can not be held liable for any discrepancies in the information provided.
@TakeTwoTapas.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.