Chocolate Chip Blondies are TENDER, BUTTERY, and SUPER EASY to make! Hinted with CHAI spice, these will be your new favorite baked TREAT.
If you’d rather skip my essential cooking tips and tricks and get straight to this delicious recipe – simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
We are not just talking about hair color today but a yummy baked good!
What is a blondie?
A blondie is a brownie but without all the cocoa. You could really just call them blonde brownies! Blondes have more fun, don’t they?
What is the difference between a brownie and a Blondie?
The only difference would be the chocolate. Brownies use melted chocolate or cocoa powder whereas blond brownies leave out the cocoa and have a rich buttery, vanilla flavor.
What is the difference between a Blondie and a cookie?
I guess you can say that a blondie is really just a cookie bar. And you would be right.
With a slight difference in the chemistry of the ingredients, blondies are the marriage of a brownie and a chocolate chip cookie!
No matter what you think of any of them, give this easy blondie a try!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my disclosure policy here.
What are blonde brownies made of?
Blonde Brownie Ingredients
- brown sugar
- chai spices
- oil or butter
Instead of the oil you can use butter or coconut oil.
For the sugar, you can use brown sugar or coconut sugar. The best is to use half white sugar and half dark brown sugar.
How to make chocolate chip blondies from scratch
STEP ONE: Preheat oven to 350° and prepare a 8×8 inch (or 9×9) baking dish or brownie pan. Spray with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
STEP TWO: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and chai spices. Set aside.
STEP THREE: In a large bowl, cream together the coconut oil and sugar with an electric mixer. Beat in the egg and vanilla on slow speed until well incorporated.
STEP FOUR: Slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet just until incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips if using. Spread batter into prepared pan and press into an even layer.
STEP FIVE: Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until just starting to brown on edges and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow them to cool for 15 minutes on a wire rack before removing from pan and cutting into squares.
Are blondies supposed to be gooey?
Just like brownies, I like my blondies a little gooey in the middle. Especially when there are chocolate chips involved. But there is a difference between gooey and undercooked.
Why are my blondies gooey?
They are supposed to be a little but gooey, but if they are really dense, there is a problem.
Unlike brownies, these need to have a little air in them to keep the batter fluffy and able to “puff up” while cooking. If you don’t whip them up enough you will end with very dense and undercooked blondies that will not sit well.
How do I store the blondies?
Store blondies covered in an air-tight container for up to 3 days at room temperature.
Can I freeze this delicious blonde brownie recipe for later?
These are perfect for any occasion but you might want to make them ahead of time. Make and bake and then freeze in freezer bags for up to 3 months.
Then you can enjoy them anytime you want or pull them out to serve to last minute guests. They also make a delicious gift!
Take Two Tapas Tips for Blondies
- Use dark brown sugar or light brown sugar instead of just white granulated sugar for a richer flavor.
- Substitute the chai spices for your favorites like cinnamon or apple pie spice
- Switch up your baking chips for white chocolate, cinnamon, peanut butter, or even butterscotch chips!
- Substitute coconut oil for the melted butter if you so prefer.
- If you switch to an 8×8 pan you might need to adjust the baking time.
This chewy blondie recipe with chai spice is the perfect blend of rich and buttery with the subtle heat of the chai.
Soft and chewy, the are the perfect treat to enjoy with your afternoon tea or coffee.
Other brownies and bars to try
Chocolate Chip Blondie Recipe with Chai
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup coconut oil (softened but not completely melted)
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon Chai spice
- 1/3 cup semi sweet chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350° and prepare a 8x8 inch (or 9x9) baking dish or brownie pan. Spray with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and chai spices. Set aside. In a large bowl, cream together the coconut oil, and sugar with an electric mixer. Beat in the egg and vanilla on slow speed until well incorporated.
- Slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet just until incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips if using. Spread batter (it will be quite thick) into prepared pan and press into an even layer.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until just starting to brown on edges and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow to cool for 15 minutes before removing from pan and cutting into squares.
*If you love this recipe as much as I do, leave me a comment and rate it 5 stars. Thank you!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 9 Serving Size: 1 bar
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 261Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 154mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 1gSugar: 20gProtein: 2g
This nutrition information was generated via a third party, Nutritionix, and can not be held liable for any discrepancies in the information provided.
@TakeTwoTapas.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.