These moist and spicy mini carrot cake cupcakes are the perfect bites with the addition of tart lemon curd and creamy cream cheese frosting!
If you’d rather skip my essential cooking tips and tricks and get straight to this delicious recipe – simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
In my last post about Lemon Curd, I told you of a surprise dessert I had at 30,000 feet above the ground. Nestled in First Class on our way back from a trip the Grand Canyon, I was scared to try this carrot loaf that was placed on my tray.
I had already had quite a few free drinks and snacks so I was looking for something a little more substantial. The artichoke ravioli on the tray for dinner was a noble attempt but fell short with texture and sauce.
The carrot loaf was my only saving grace!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my disclosure policy here.
I thought the already depressing loaf was completely ruined with the addition of a lemon drizzle AND a cream cheese drizzle.
I took a bite and was pleasantly surprised that it did not ruin it. Once I took another bite, I thought they were on to something!
Lemon with carrot cake? Sure, why not?!?!
I knew I had a great recipe for lemon curd. That would be great inside a moist carrot cake cupcake.
It needed something to balance out the tart and spice… Bring in my recipe for classic cream cheese frosting and we have a complete bite!
I think that this is more of what the airplane chefs had in mind but didn’t come to fruition.
These moist little cupcakes have all the right moves: carrot cake spiced with nutmeg and cinnamon, bright, tart, and silky lemon curd tucked inside, and topped with a classic cream cheese frosting! It has carrots so you know it’s healthy!
MORE EASY SNACKS
Carrot Cake Cupcakes:
- 3 sticks unsalted butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 1 Recipe Homemade Lemon Curd *recipe below
- 1 Recipe Classic Cream Cheese Frosting *recipe below
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Line your mini cupcake pans with paper or foil liners.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and the sugar, and beat.
- In a different medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Stir to incorporate all the dry ingredients.
- Add the flour mixture alternating with the eggs.
- Beat well to mix after each egg.
- Add the vanilla extract and carrots and beat on medium speed until well incorporated.
- Add batter to cupcake liners. I filled about 3/4 the way full which worked out to be a little more than a teaspoon.
- Bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until cakes spring back when touched.
- Let cool completely.
- Put lemon curd in a plastic frosting bag with a wide tip. Insert tip into the top of the cupcake and fill the center with curd. The cupcake will swell a little bit. If you don't feel comfortable doing this part you can just smear some on top of the cupcake.
- Top with cream cheese frosting!
- Once frosted, please store in the fridge as the frosting will spoil.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 60 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 103Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 30mgSodium: 94mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 0gSugar: 9gProtein: 1g
This nutrition information was generated via a third party, Nutritionix, and can not be held liable for any discrepancies in the information provided.
I adapted the recipe for the carrot cake from Emeril’s recipe.
TakeTwoTapas.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.