Chocolate Caramel Brownies are gooey, fudgy, and chocolate-y, with a creamy caramel layer in the center! Perfect sweet treat to satisfy your cravings!
If you’d rather skip my (very helpful, I think) tips and tricks, essential cooking info, and similar recipe ideas – and get straight to this delicious recipe – simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
Tis the season for baking! But really, when is it not the season to bake gooey, chocolate-y treats?
I have a great one for you today.
But not just any chocolate brownies…
HOMEMADE chocolate brownies, so fudgy, so decadent you didn’t think there could be anything better.
Until I throw in a layer of creamy, buttery caramel in the middle.
Are you drooling yet? I am!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my disclosure policy here.
Ingredients for Caramel Brownies
- unsalted butter
- all purpose flour
- chocolate chips
- vanilla extract
- granulated sugar
- heavy cream
how to make caramel brownies from scratch
STEP ONE: Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare a 9×13 baking pan with non-stick spray or line with parchment paper.
STEP TWO: In a large bowl, combine the sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Pour this mixture into the chocolate & melted butter mixture. Stir to combine. Add flour and stir until just combined.
Scoop half of the brownie batter into the pan and spread evenly. Bake for 20 minutes.
STEP THREE: While the brownies are baking, place the caramels and cream into a microwave-safe bowl. Heat for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, and then stir well until caramels are melted fully and combined.
STEP FOUR: Pull the brownies out of the oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Pour the caramel over the brownies, and gently spread it out evenly over the pan.
Spoon the remaining batter on top of the caramel mixture, and spread evenly. Bake for 15 more minutes, remove from oven and let cool completely before cutting.
what does an extra egg do to brownies
The extra egg makes the brownie have more if a cake like texture by adding more volume to the batter to make it lighter.
what makes a fudgy brownie
To get a fudgy brownie you need to have a higher fat to flour ratio. By having more butter and chocolate (you know, the good stuff) you get a more gooey and fudgy brownie.
what happens if you bake caramel?
While baking, the caramel gets a richer flavor. By pre-baking the bottom layer of brownie batter, the caramel layer stays in the middle and gets all gooey!
I wouldn’t recommend using caramel sauce for this recipe as it’s too thin and will soak into the brownie layer and not stay in the middle.
How long will the brownies keep?
Keep at room temperature or refrigerate for up to 5 days. If they last that long. Microwave to reheat and make gooey again.
Can I freeze them?
Sealed in an air tight container they will last for up to 3 months. I would let the brownies come to room temperature before eating so the caramel can get soft again.
How do you know when brownies are done?
The brownies are done when a toothpick inserted comes out clean. If you like your brownies a little on the gooey side, cook them until the edges start to pull away from the edges of the pan and the middle is set and doesn’t jiggle anymore.
What is Freaky Friday? I’m so glad you asked!
Started by my friend Michaela over at An Affair from the Heart. A group of us food bloggers are secretly assigned another blogger’s site and we make a recipe from it.
On Friday all is revealed and we get so celebrate what we each made.
I was assigned the blog Or Whatever You Do, that is written by my friend Nicole. I met Nicole at a blog conference a few years ago and fell in love instantly. She loves karaoke (and she is a fantastic singer), and the queen of the grill.
Nicole makes so many delicious recipes on the grill including delicious desserts! I didn’t know there were so many tasty things you could make on a grill.
Her apple crisp is so amazing but I am most impressed by her eggnog cheesecake. I can’t even imagine cheesecake on a grill but WOW is it good! Now when my husband says he’s in charge of the grill I tell him that includes dessert too!
Take a look at all of our 2020 Freaky Friday Holiday Cookie Exchange Recipes:
- An Affair from the Heart – Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies
- Bowl Me Over – Homemade Buckeyes Recipe
- Devour Dinner – Holiday Brownie Cookie
- Fresh Cooky – Mint Fudge Brownies
- Hostess at Heart – Homemade Butter Cookies
- House of Nash Eats – Candy Coated Crispix Mix
- Lemoine Family Kitchen – Nutella Thumbprint Cookies
- Life Currents – Easy One Hour Cinnamon Rolls
- Life, Love & Good Food – Peppermint Brownie Drop Cookies
- Or Whatever You Do – Easy Thumbprint Cookie Recipe
- Sugar Dish Me – Chocolate Chip Pudding Cookies
- Take Two Tapas – Chocolate Caramel Brownies
- The Speckled Palate – Peanut Butter Chocolate Fudge
These tasty, creamy, fudgy, chocolate brownies are super easy to make and will put a smile on your face and the face of anyone you share them with. If you want to share them that is…
Take Two Tapas Tips
- make sure to use unsalted butter. This way they won’t be too salty if you decide to add salted nuts or candies on top.
- be careful not to over mix the batter. Combine just until it comes together. Over-mixed brownies are tough and not fun.
- line your pan with parchment paper to make removing the brownies easier.
- chill the brownies before cutting to make them pretty. Also cutting with a plastic knife makes the edges cleaner.
- add nuts for extra crunch!
Other brownies & bars to try
- Slutty Brownies
- Peanut Butter Bacon Blondies
- Chai Blondies
- Bacon Salt Brownies
- No Bake Peanut Butter Bars
- Cereal Treat Bars
Caramel Brownie Recipe
- 1 cup salted butter
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate melting discs, or a bar chopped
- 1 1/2 cups granulated Sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 11 oz Caramel Bits
- 1/8 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare a 9x13 baking pan with non-stick spray or line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Pour this mixture into the chocolate & melted butter mixture. Stir to combine. Add flour and stir until just combined.
- Scoop half of the brownie batter into the pan and spread evenly. Bake for 20 minutes.
- While the brownies are baking, place the caramels and cream into a microwave-safe bowl. Heat for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, and then stir well until caramels are melted fully and combined.
- Pull the brownies out of the oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Pour the caramel over the brownies, and gently spread it out evenly over the pan.
- Spoon the remaining batter on top of the caramel mixture, and spread evenly.
- Bake for 15 more minutes, remove from oven and let cool completely before cutting.
*If you love this recipe as much as I do, please leave me a comment and rate it 5 stars. Thank you!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1 brownie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 258Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 53mgSodium: 119mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 1gSugar: 28gProtein: 3g
This nutrition information was generated via a third party, Nutritionix, and can not be held liable for any discrepancies in the information provided.
@TakeTwoTapas.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.