Pizza Pinwheels are an easy 4 ingredient appetizer that is so delicious that they will be gobbled up quickly!
Pepperoni Pizza Pinwheels
Everyone loves pizza! It’s the GO-TO meal when you have a crowd so why not make it your GO-TO appetizer?
I love simple foods that everyone enjoys when I am entertaining. Who wants to stress over fussy foods? Pizza is easy and so are these pizza pinwheels.
With just 4 ingredients, and totally customizable, this pizza pinwheels recipe will be your new favorite thing to make.
If you have kids, get them involved. They are going to love making these and these Pizza Egg Rolls.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my disclosure policy here.
Pizza Dough – I like to use the canned dough only because it already comes in a rectangle, which makes it easy to roll, but feel free to use ready made in the deli or make homemade pizza dough!
Mozzarella Cheese – I like the finely shredded kind because it helps with rolling the pinwheels tight, but grate your own for extra melty cheese.
Pepperoni – Feel free to use turkey or low fat pepperoni. To keep them from being extra greasy, microwave the pepperoni for 10-20 seconds and dab with paper towels.
Pizza Sauce – If you are in the mood for marinara sauce or what you have on hand (I like a spicy arrabbiata sauce) use your favorite!
Pepperoni Pizza is pretty much everyone’s favorite pizza but there are so many other pizza toppings to try!
How to Make Pizza Pinwheels
First: Preheat oven to 425F. Prepare a baking sheets with parchment paper or other non-stick baking mat.
Second: Roll out the pizza dough into a large rectangle. You might need to stretch it a bit. Spread the tomato sauce on the dough, leaving a 1 inch section free on one of the long sides of the dough.
Top with cheese and pepperoni, leaving that 1 inch space empty.
Third: Starting from the long side (not the empty side) and roll the dough into a long roll. Think cinnamon rolls! Seal with the empty edge by slightly pinching to close. Place in the freezer for 20 minutes.
Fourth: Remove from the freezer, slice into 12 rolls (about 1/2 -1 inch thick). Place cut side up on the prepared baking sheet.
Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the rolls are a golden brown and the cheese is melty. remove and serve with additional marinara sauce. Enjoy!
For the full recipe and detailed instructions, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Can you freeze pinwheels?
You can cook them and then store in an air tight container for up to 3 months. Reheat in the oven for 5-10 minutes before enjoying!
How big is a Pillsbury pizza crust?
When unrolled the pizza dough is 10×7.5 inches. I like to stretch mine slightly to make more room for pizza toppings.
Can I make these ahead of time?
You can bake them ahead of time and reheat before serving. Because of the moisture in the sauce, I don’t recommend assembling them and baking later. They will be too soggy.
How to Store Leftovers
I will be surprised if you have any leftovers but if you do, store them in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat or enjoy cold:)
Tapas Tips & Tricks
- Freeze for 20 minutes before slicing. It will help them keep their shape when slicing.
- Microwave the pepperoni and dab off grease.
- Leave 1 inch section on dough empty to help the rolls seal.
- Lightly flour surface to keep the dough from sticking when rolling out.
- Add Italian seasoning to the cheese if you need more spice!
- Let cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before serving. They will be hot!
- Prep the baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray if you need to.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese for more cheese when serving!
- I don’t like to make these with crescent dough as it doesn’t hold up to the pepperoni and cheese. They tend to fall apart.
What is Freaky Friday? It’s a recipe exchange put on by Michaela over at An Affair from the Heart. There are about a dozen people each time that get assigned a fellow foodie website to make a recipe from to share with our readers.
It’s a win-win because we get to make a tried and true recipe from a friend and share it with our readers and you get to hear about another great food website you might not have found!
This time around I got Erin from The Speckled Palate. Read up on how she named her blog!!
Erin is a Texas mom and is my spirit animal when it comes to Low Key Entertaining! I like to keep mine stress free but Erin takes it to a whole other level!
Using fresh, seasonal ingredients Erin brings together the most amazing recipes all with tips and tricks to help you get them ready without stress. No stranger to dinner parties, she shows you how to entertain and actually ENJOY IT!
I have a soft spot in my heart for eating off a board and her easy snack board is perfect for two:)
But appetizers and main dishes aren’t it, she can mix a cocktail like the best bartender (check out her Cherry Lemonade Margarita) and she has more than a few mule recipes if you are a ginger fan.
Don’t forget to check out her delicious twists on classic desserts like these potato chip cookies!
If you love this recipe as much as I do, please write a five-star review in the comment section below (or on Pinterest with the “tried it” button – you can now add pictures into reviews, too!), and be sure to help me share on facebook!
Grab a pre-made pizza dough, top with your favorite pizza toppings and make these fun pizza pinwheels!
- 1 can refrigerated pizza dough (ounces)
- 1 1/2 cup pizza sauce or marinara sauce
- 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 30-40 pepperoni slices
- Preheat oven to 425F. Prepare a baking sheets with parchment paper or other non-stick baking mat. If you don't have these you can use non-stick cooking spray.
- Roll out the pizza dough into a large rectangle. You might need to stretch it a bit.
- Spread the tomato sauce on the dough, leaving a 1 inch section free on one of the long sides of the dough.
- Top with cheese and pepperoni, leaving that 1 inch space empty.
- Starting from the long side (not the empty side) roll the dough into a long roll. Think cinnamon rolls!
- Seal with the empty edge by slightly pinching to keep it closed.
- Place in the freezer for 20 minutes. This will help it maintain it's shape when slicing and not get as smashed. Be sure to use a sharp knife.
- Remove from the freezer, slice into 12 rolls (about 1/2 -1 inch thick). I like to cut my log in half. Then cut those in half making four section. Then cut each section into three slices. This helps me to keep them as close in size as possible.
- Place cut side up on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the rolls are a golden brown and the cheese is melty.
- Remove and serve with additional marinara sauce and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese if desired. Enjoy!
*If you love this recipe as much as I do, please leave me a comment and rate it 5 stars. Thank you!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 roll
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 159Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 424mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 6g
This nutrition information was generated via a third party. I can not be held liable for any discrepancies in the information provided.
Best Pinwheel Recipes
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Pinwheels
- Crack Chicken Pinwheels
- Mexican Pinwheels
- Italian Pinwheels
- Click for more pinwheel sandwich recipes
Take a look at all of our 2021 Freaky Friday Spring Edition Recipes:
- A Dish of Daily Life – Smoky Chicken Street Tacos
- An Affair from the Heart – Sheet Pan Shrimp Fajitas with Cilantro Lime Butter
- Aunt Bee’s Recipes – Easy Chile Relleno Casserole
- The Carefree Kitchen – Glazed Lemon Cookies
- The Culinary Compass – Easy Candied Pecan Recipe
- Devour Dinner – Cheese Stuffed Meatloaf
- The Foodie Affair – Keto Broccoli Salad
- The Fresh Cooky – Bowtie Pasta Recipe
- Hostess at Heart – No Bake Chocolate Cheesecake
- House of Nash Eats – Roast Beef Sliders
- Lemon Blossoms – Lemon Blueberry Crumb Bars
- Lemoine Family Kitchen – Lemon Blueberry Bread
- Life, Love & Good Food – Cubano Sandwich
- Off the Eaten Path – Grilled Vegan Guacamole
- Or Whatever You Do – Blackstone Mexican Style Street Corn
- The Speckled Palate – Lemon Bars
- An Affair from the Heart – Blueberry Mojitos
TakeTwoTapas.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.