Crispy and cheese Fajita Nachos, are loaded with seasoned chicken, peppers, and onions, and topped with all the best fajita toppings. Perfect for game day!
I love fajitas. I love nachos. Put them together and what do we get? Fajita Nachos! Ole!
Chicken Fajitas Nachos
Tender chicken with all the delicious fajita spices and melted cheese over crispy tortilla chips.
It’s ideal for movie night, a Super Bowl party, or game night and always the perfect crowd pleaser.
Have leftover chicken or need a new way to use rotisserie chicken? This is a delicious recipe to repurpose that poultry.
With a 20 minute turnaround time, you’ll have these on the table in minutes! These are simple to put together and oh so satisfying.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my disclosure policy here.
Cooked chicken – I prefer shredded boneless skinless chicken breasts, but you can also use boneless chicken thighs. A rotisserie chicken is also great for this recipe.
Bell peppers – I like yellow, red or orange peppers, but you can also use green bell peppers. Mini bell peppers will also work well.
Onion – I prefer a sweet onion, but you can use yellow, white or red onion.
Olive oil – Alternatively you can use canola or vegetable oil.
Fajita seasoning – 1 packet of your favorite fajita seasoning or you can make your own.
Cheddar cheese – You can buy pre-shredded cheese in your grocery store or grate your own. Monterey jack cheese is also a popular choice.
Tortilla chips – Choose your favorite brand of tortilla chips or corn chips.
Garnishes – Shredded lettuce, black olives, green onions, tomatoes, sour cream.
How to Make Chicken Fajita Nachos Recipe
First: In a large cast iron skillet, heat a tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. Add the thin strips of sliced peppers and onions and cook until soft.
Second: Add shredded chicken, fajita seasoning, and water and stir until heated through. Remove from heat and set aside.
Third: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a deep 9×13 or large baking sheet pan place half of chips, half the chicken and half of the sautéed veggies. Sprinkle with plenty of cheese – about 1 ½ cups.
Fourth: Repeat with another layer of tortilla chips, fajita mixture of chicken and veggies, and the remaining cheese.
Fifth: Bake in the oven for 5-6 minutes or until the cheese is melted and everything is heated through. Remove and garnish with your favorite toppings. Serve warm and enjoy.
For the full recipe and detailed instructions, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Favorite Nacho Toppings
- Pico de gallo
- shredded lettuce
- black olives
- sour cream
- chopped tomatoes
- sliced ripe avocados
- green chiles
- chopped chipotle peppers
- warm refried beans
- splash of hot sauce
- avocado crema
- squeeze of fresh lime juice
What kind of chips are best for nachos?
Choose sturdy chips that will hold up to your toppings without getting soggy. Restaurant style chips tend to get soggy and can easily crack or break.
Look for thicker tortilla chips made with flour or corn chips that will hold up well.
One trick to help reduce sogginess is that you can bake a thin layer of cheese over the top first.
This creates a barrier between the chips and the rest of the toppings before the final bake.
What kind of cheese is best for nachos?
The best cheeses for nachos will be those that melt well. Stick to cheeses such as cheddar and jack. Pepper jack is especially tasty and adds an extra kick of spice.
Pre-shredded cheeses should be avoided as they can get dried out and have anti-clumping agents added to them.
Shredding your own cheese will ensure more freshness and smooth melting.
Another option would be to make your own nacho cheese sauce with cream cheese.
Tapas Tips & Tricks
- Steak Fajita Nachos Version – Easily swap out the chicken and make these nachos with cooked steak. I recommend skirt steak, flank steak or ribeye.
- You could also make beef fajita nachos using cooked ground beef.
- Reheat nachos in a 300F oven until crispy again!
- Make your own homemade fajita seasoning. Fajita seasoning is a spice mix of chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper and onion powder.
- Omit the oregano and red pepper flakes and add a tablespoon of sugar to make this a fajita seasoning.
- Choose a sturdy chip for this recipe to help eliminate soggy nachos. See the FAQs above about the best type of chips to use.
- Grease the pan with a little olive oil to prevent cheese from sticking.
If you love this recipe as much as I do, please write a five-star review in the comment section below (or on Pinterest with the “tried it” button – you can now add pictures into reviews, too!), and be sure to help me share on facebook!
I’m sure you will agree that these are the best nachos! Next time you get the craving, try this twist on traditional nachos. Fajita nachos are perfect for lunch, a hearty snack or game day.
- 2 cups cooked chicken (shredded)
- 2 bell peppers (I like yellow or red)
- ½ large sweet onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1.25 ounce fajita seasoning (1 packet)
- ¼ cup water
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Tortilla chips
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the peppers and onions and cook until they start to soften.
- Add the shredded chicken, fajita seasoning, and water.
- Stir to combine and cook until everything is heated through and seasoning and water are mostly absorbed.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- In a deep 9x13 or sheet pan, place a layer of tortilla chips. Top with ½ the chicken and veggies mixture.
- Top with ½ the cheese.
- Place another layer of tortilla chips, chicken mixture, and the remaining cheese.
- Place in the oven and bake for 5-6 minutes or until the cheese is melted and everything is heated through.
- Remove and top with your favorite toppings (chopped tomatoes, shredded lettuce, black olives, sour cream, etc)
- Serve warm and enjoy.
Toppings: pico de gallo, shredded lettuce, black olives, and sour cream. chopped tomatoes, sliced ripe avocados, green chiles, chopped chipotle peppers, warm refried beans, cilantro, salsa, hot sauce and avocado crema.
A squeeze of fresh lime juice over the top of the hot nachos will add a layer of fresh flavor.
Swap out the chicken and make these nachos with cooked steak. I recommend skirt steak, flank steak or ribeye. You could also make beef fajita nachos using cooked ground beef.
Make your own homemade fajita seasoning.
Choose a sturdy chip for this recipe to help eliminate soggy nachos. See the FAQs in the post about the best type of chips to use.
You can grease the pan with a little olive oil to prevent cheese from sticking.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 291Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 74mgSodium: 624mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 18g
This nutrition information was generated via a third party. I can not be held liable for any discrepancies in the information provided.
TakeTwoTapas.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.