Nothing says delicious fail-proof appetizer like these classic Pickle Roll Ups! This easy to make recipe with smooth cream cheese, salty deli ham, tangy ranch seasoning, and sour dill pickles is a perfect low-carb, keto friendly handheld bite for everyone to enjoy!
Ham and Pickle Wraps
The autumn and winter seasons are full of game-day events, potlucks, and family get-togethers. And pickle roll ups are the perfect, quick-and-easy appetizer to bring to these family-friendly events.
While traditionally a Midwestern dish, pickle roll ups are making a name for themselves across the country and it’s easy to see why. They are utterly delicious!
This Midwest recipe is filled with traditional ingredients of creamy seasoned ranch cream cheese, salty deli ham, and of course, tangy dill pickles. Each bite is an ideal combination of flavor and texture that’s wrapped into a handheld piece.
Plus, these bite-sized snacks are naturally low carb and keto friendly which means you and your guests can indulge without feeling guilty! So go ahead and enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my disclosure policy here.
Pickle Roll Ups Ingredients
Sliced ham – I like to use plain smoked ham that you find in a rectangle shape for easier rolling. Use your favorite flavor of ham like black forest or honey roasted. You can also use dried beef.
Cream cheese – Feel free to use full fat, reduced fat, or fat free version. Just bring it to room temperature for easier spreading.
Dill pickles – I like to use baby dill pickles, roughly 4 inches long and an inch in diameter. You can also use spicy, kosher, or bread and butter pickles. I like to use the whole pickles and not the cut spears as they are easier to roll.
Ranch seasoning – I like to add this for a bit of extra flavor but you can also choose to leave this out and just have a 3 ingredient appetizer.
How to make Ham and Pickle Rollups
ONE: Soften the cream cheese and combine it with the ranch seasoning in a medium bowl using a hand mixer or stand mixer.
TWO: Spread cream cheese mixture over the whole slice of ham and place pickle at one end of the ham slice.
THREE: Tightly roll up the pickle. Cover and refrigerate for 15-20 minutes to allow cream cheese to firm up.
FOUR: When ready to serve the pickle roll ups, slice rolls into 1/4″ thick slices. Serve immediately and enjoy!
For the full recipe and detailed instructions, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
What is a Pickle Roll made of?
A pickle wrap is made of slices of deli ham, smothered in a ranch flavored cream cheese spread, tightly rolled around a dill pickle and cut into bite-sized pieces.
Who invented the Pickle Wrap?
The exact origin of who invented the pickle wrap is unknown. However; it is believed to have old-world German roots that was modified when German immigrants came to the States.
Can you freeze them?
You can freeze pickle roll ups up to 3 months. However; if planning on freezing, I recommend using only full-fat cream cheese as low-fat tends to get watery and breaks down when frozen then thawed.
Are Pickle Wraps a Midwest thing?
Pickle wraps are a Midwestern appetizer with heavy roots in Minnesota and Iowa. These two areas have large German populations and it’s believed that pickle wraps are a variations of classic German foods.
Tapas Tips & Tricks
- pat the pickles and ham slices dry before assembling so the cream cheese sticks to them better.
- bring the cream cheese to room temperature for easier spreading
- refrigerate the roll ups for 15-20 minutes before slicing to keep the cream cheese firm and the ham from sliding off.
- if serving the pickle roll ups with toothpicks or small forks, I would stick them in the roll before slicing.
- add different seasonings like my Everything Bagel Seasoning, Cajun Seasoning, or just leave it out all together.
- you can wrap them in a tortilla after you wrap them in ham for an even more substantial appetizer.
- for a little kick you can add a little spread of hot pepper jelly or a dab of horseradish to the cream cheese layer before you wrap the ham around them.
- instead of ham, try corned beef, roast beef, salami, or turkey.
If you love this recipe as much as I do, please write a five-star review in the comment section below (or on Pinterest with the “tried it” button – you can now add pictures into reviews, too!), and be sure to help me share on facebook!
These classic and easy ham pickle roll ups are budget friendly, feeds a crowd, and ready in 30 minutes! Delicious, quick, and easy, this bite-sized low carb, keto friendly appetizer is going to be a hit at your next family or holiday get-together!
- 8 whole baby dill pickles
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 8 slices deli ham
- 2 teaspoons ranch seasoning
- In a medium bowl, combine the cream cheese and ranch seasoning.
- Pat the pickles and ham slices dry with a paper towel.
- Lay out a ham slice on a clean surface like a cutting board or baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Spread 1/8 (roughly 1-2 tablespoons) over the whole slice of ham, making sure to get all the way to the edges..
- Place one pickle at one end of the ham slice and roll the pickle up tightly.
- Continue with the remaining pickles, ham, and cream cheese.
- Cover and refrigerate for 15-20 minutes to firm up the cream cheese.
*If you love this recipe as much as I do, please leave me a comment and rate it 5 stars. Thank you!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 2 roll ups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 41Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 226mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 2g
This nutrition information was generated via a third party. I can not be held liable for any discrepancies in the information provided.
Easy Appetizers to make
TakeTwoTapas.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.