This Chili Cheese Dip is perfect for that big game day during football season, movie night, or a family party. It always gets a 5 star rating from everyone who tries it. This has been the easiest appetizer that I’ve made in a while, featuring bean chili and melty cheese combined into a tasty dip.
Table of contents
Chili Cream Cheese Dip Recipe
Homemade cheese chili dip has become a personal favorite of mine. Even though I’ve only made it a couple of times, thanks to how easy it is to make.
This 3-ingredient chili cheese dip is a great way to get into making your own easy appetizer. Especially when you’re short on time or need to make something ahead for the next day.
It’s easy peasy, delicious (it tastes similar to chili con carne) and you’ll have a party appetizer made in no time!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my disclosure policy here.
Cream cheese – Replace eight ounces of cream cheese with equal amount of sour cream if necessary.
Chili – I personally like to go with a type of chili that has black beans and ground beef (like Hormel chili), but you can use the chili of your choice.
Shredded cheddar cheese – I like using sharp cheddar cheese. Or swap out for shredded Monterey jack, Colby jack, or a Mexican cheese blend.
How To Make Chili Cheese Dip
FIRST: Preheat oven to 350F. Grab an oven safe dish.
SECOND: In a 9×13 baking dish, spread out cream cheese. On top of the cream cheese, add your can of chili.
THIRD: Layer on your shredded cheese. Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese melts.
FOURTH: Remove and serve warm with tortilla chips or corn chips.
For the full recipe and detailed instructions, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
How can I thicken my chili cheese dip?
I’ve found that the best chili cheese dip is thick enough to easily pick up on a tortilla chip, so this is something to keep in mind when making this recipe.
To thicken the cheese dip when it’s on the more watery side, a common hack from similar recipes is to add small amounts of flour or cornstarch. Stir continuously until mixed.
For best results, make sure to add very little, being careful not to over-thicken your dip.
What kind of cheese is used in chili cheese?
Shredded cheddar cheese is the most common cheese paired with chili, thanks to its strong flavor. You can also serve with other flavorful cheeses such as monterey jack or pepper jack cheese.
How Can I Store and Reheat Leftovers?
Leftover chili cheese dip is amazing, and this recipe makes it super easy to reheat. Store your cheese dip in an airtight container, covering with plastic wrap or a cover.
You can reheat this leftover homemade chili in a few ways, the first of which is to place it in a safe container and pop back in the oven. Bake until bubbly and heated all the way through.
Additionally, you can turn this into a slow cooker chili cheese dip. For the crockpot method, just turn it on medium before putting in your dip, and heat thoroughly. Alternatively, you can try throwing this dip in the fondue pot to warm it up!
Tapas Tips & Tricks
- Garnish with optional ingredients like black olives, green onions, green chiles, and cilantro. You can also serve with hot sauce, for the guests who like a little more kick!
- Make your own tortilla chips with an easy recipe by cutting up room temperature tortillas and frying them in olive oil in a large skillet on the stovetop.
- To make this easy chili cheese dip vegetarian, opt for a vegetarian chili instead of one with meat in it.
- For a different flavor profile, try adding in taco seasoning to your canned chili, and topping with a Mexican blend cheese. There’s also some great choices for toppings, like green chilis, green onion, and fresh cilantro to complete the Mexican twist on this dish.
- Instead of serving with tortilla chips, try adding a side of sliced bell peppers for a healthier and more low carb option.
- For less of a cheesy layer on top of your crock pot chili cheese dip, try removing a cup cheese and adding more on slowly, until you find the right ratio for you.
If you love this recipe as much as I do, please write a five-star review in the comment section below (or on Pinterest with the “tried it” button – you can now add pictures into reviews, too!), and be sure to help me share on facebook!
Making homemade chili cheese dip has never been simpler – this easy chili dip is bound to be a fan favorite that your guest can snack on for the entire game. With thick chili combined with cheesy dip, this food is super simple to make and is the perfect appetizer to start with if you don’t have a ton of experience cooking or just want an easy dip to throw together when you only have a little bit of time and want very few minutes of prep.
- 2 (8 ounce) blocks cream cheese (softened)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chili with beans
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a 9x13 pan, spread the cream cheese into an even layer.
- Pour the chili over the cream cheese and spread into an even layer.
- Top with shredded cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until bubbly and the cheese is melted.
- Serve with tortilla chips or corn chips.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 274Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 65mgSodium: 516mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 15g
This nutrition information was generated via a third party. I can not be held liable for any discrepancies in the information provided.
More Easy Finger Foods
TakeTwoTapas.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.