This Air Fryer Grilled Cheese Sandwich takes your traditional go-to lunch or your late-night snack to a whole new level of EASY!
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
Let’s be honest, a classic grilled cheese will never get old. A good grilled cheese sandwich is all about the crispy crust and that ooey-gooey center of melty cheese.
In the world of convenience, grilled cheese in the air fryer doesn’t get any easier.
Lather on some butter on a good piece of sourdough, sprinkle on some sharp cheddar cheese, throw it in the air fryer basket, and you have a quick and easy lunch ready in no-time.
This is the perfect recipe for one or for many! Serve it with some tomato soup for a classy luncheon or some french fries for the ultimate sleep-over dinner.
Everyone will love your air frying skills and cleanup is a breeze!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my disclosure policy here.
Bread –It’s all about the crust for me, so I like to choose a hearty bread like Sourdough.
Cheese –I like to use mild cheddar cheese and grate my own. But you can choose any cheese that you like and also use cheese slices or shredded packaged cheese.
Mayo –If you want a crispy crust, this will do the trick!
Butter – Also helps with the crisping process and give you that nice buttery flavor in the crust.
How to make Grilled Cheese in an Air Fryer
First: Spread butter on one side of both pieces of bread.
Second: Sprinkle on your cheese.
Third: Close your sandwich and spread a layer of mayo on the outside of the sandwich. Cook one side in the air fryer basket until golden brown and flip the sandwich.
Fourth: Cook the other side until you melt the cheese and the bread is golden brown. Serve immediately.
For the full recipe and detailed instructions, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
How to store leftovers
Store leftover grilled in an airtight container in the fridge. To reheat, warm and re-toast on a warm skillet with a little butter until the cheese is melted and the bread is crispy again.
Why use mayonnaise?
Mayonnaise gives you a crispier crust and a fluffier center.
How do you keep the top slice of bread from sliding off?
Be quick with the flip! Don’t hesitate here or second guess your flipping skills. Slide that spatula under that bread and swiftly flip!
Options to upgrade your grilled cheese
You really can’t go wrong here. Try different cheeses or add in some avocado, bacon, ham, veggies, bread & butter pickles, potato chips, dijon mustard.
My advice, have fun with it and get creative!
Tapas Tips & Tricks
- Any air fryer will work great for this recipe. Just keep in mind that different air fryers might have different cooking times. You really just want to toast until golden brown.
- If you’re having trouble with your top slice of bread sliding, you can also secure it with a toothpick
- To ensure even toasting, you can flip your grilled cheese halfway through cooking.
- For best results, preheat the air fryer to cooking temp before putting in your sandwich.
If you love this recipe as much as I do, please write a five-star review in the comment section below (or on Pinterest with the “tried it” button – you can now add pictures into reviews, too!), and be sure to help me share on facebook!
Having fun with your air fryer? Check out some other delicious air fryer recipes below!
- 2 slices bread
- 1/2 cup Mild cheddar cheese (grated)
- 1/2 cup Monterey jack cheese (grated)
- 1 tablespoon butter (melted)
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- Preheat Air Fryer to 360 degrees F for 5 minutes.
- Grate cheese if you are using a block or measure your cheese out.
- Spread butter on one side of both pieces of bread.
- Place the bread, butter side up, and pile the grated cheese on one slice.
- Cover the cheese with the other slice of bread, butter side to the cheese.
- Spread a thin layer of mayonnaise on the outside of one of the bread slices.
- Place it into the preheated air fryer basket with the mayonnaise side facing down.
- Spread a line layer of mayonnaise on the other side.
- Cook for 5 minutes at 360 degrees F, flip over and continue cooking for 3 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Remove from the air fryer basket and serve immediately.
You can also use cheese slices or shredded packaged cheese.
Cooking times may vary with different Air Fryers.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1 sandwich
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 837Total Fat: 63gSaturated Fat: 33gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 26gCholesterol: 151mgSodium: 1251mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 35g
This nutrition information was generated via a third party. I can not be held liable for any discrepancies in the information provided.
More Easy Appetizers
TakeTwoTapas.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.