Last updated on February 6th, 2020 at 10:59 am
My family’s mushroom spread recipe with a weird name is a great new appetizer for you to serve at a party. Check out my recipe for YUCK Mushroom Spread!
Yuck isn’t something that you really want to call a recipe but since it comes with a funny story I guess it is ok.
Yuck Mushroom Bruschetta Spread goes hand in hand with my Magnificent Stuffed Mushrooms which is the only other mushroom recipe I have on the blog. Reason being I don’t like mushrooms!
But I have to remember that Take Two Tapas is me making recipes for my readers and not just for myself. Readers, this one is for you, and yes I have actually eaten it.
A long time ago, I know that I am old but let’s not get carried away so I will say in my childhood, my parents made a recipe with mushrooms. A “spread” of sorts made from chopped sautéed mushrooms and other yummy ingredients.
While my mom was cooking away in the kitchen the smell of garlic simmering in olive oil drifted into my room. The smell of garlic in olive oil is one of my favorite smells so I was naturally drawn toward the smell.
As I walked into the kitchen, I saw her spooning something from a pan into a small bowl. Being that she is short, I easily looked over her shoulder and down into the bowl.
Expecting to see pasta or soup or one of my favorite dishes, I saw a bowl of a dark brown food. It smelled delicious so I asked what it was. Not sure what you call it but it is mushrooms, sautéed and chopped up for spreading on a cracker was her answer.
I said it looks like YUCK! She laughed because she knows I don’t like mushrooms and she could see my obvious disappointment that it wasn’t something I liked.
When my dad came in to get some as a snack he asked if the spread is ready. I told him that his YUCK was all ready and he could have my portion too!
My parents made this dish quite often growing up and every time they served it they called it YUCK. The name stuck and the family continues to call it Yuck to this day.
This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click on the link or purchase any items through the link I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. These small commissions help fund this blog so I can bring you delicious party foods and cocktails! See my full Disclosure Policy here.
Yuck is a mushroom bruschetta spread meant to be eaten on crackers, crostini, or even as a condiment on a sandwich, much like my Olive Salad. I used the recipe for YUCK as the basis for my Magnificent Stuffed Mushrooms, I just added a few other ingredients! Aside from the name, I know you will love my YUCK spread, especially if you love mushrooms.
How would you gobble down the YUCK and what is your favorite way to eat mushrooms?
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 medium shallot (chopped fine)
- 1 lb white or baby Bella mushrooms (stemmed, washed, chopped fine)
- 8 pepperoncini peppers (chopped fine)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese (grated)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- In a skillet over medium-low heat, add the olive oil.
- Add the garlic and shallot and cook for a minute or two until the shallot gets translucent and soft.
- Add in the butter and melt it.
- Add in the mushrooms. Do not crowd the pan. If there are too many mushrooms to fit in the pan then I would cook in two batches.
- When the mushrooms are browned and cooked, add in the pepperoncini peppers and the balsamic vinegar.
- Stir to coat the mushrooms.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the pan from the stove.
- Put the mushrooms in your serving container.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Serve with crackers, crostini, or use this spread in a pasta dish.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 118Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 9mgSodium: 944mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 3g
I love this “Family Recipe” dip bowl from Mud Pie to serve it in as it so fits!