Who knew that cookies could be savory? I did! These flaky cookies are really cheesy thumbprints, full of flavor and spice, and with creamy goat cheese on top with a sweet and spicy pepper jelly, they are the perfect bite!
When I am in the mood for something sweet, I can’t help but go for a cookie. That perfect blend of richness with your favorite sweet flavor nestled in it. But who ever thought that you can satisfy your savory craving with a cookie too? When snacking comes front and center in my brain, it is usually for something salty. Pretzels do the trick. Or a couple slices of cheese.
In this recipe, I am combining all the ways to satisfy my monstrous cravings into one perfect bite. The saltiness of a few slices of cheese, the creaminess of the goat cheese, the spiciness of the pepper jelly, all delivered in a cookie! Albeit a savory cookie, but I can still say that I snacked on cookies…
These cookies start with my Pimento Cheese Straw dough. I know you already have some stored in your fridge or your freezer for a future party. I do!!! I always have some on hand. Armed with my trusty play dough shaping tool, and I can whip some out in no time. But instead of making more dirty dishes, I just pinch off a piece, roll it into a ball, and press my thumb down. Much tastier than “putting your foot down!”
Bake these cookies off in the oven and then cool. You can make them ahead of time and store until you are ready to serve them. No last minute baking to do.
You may think that these are like other cheese wafers out there. They may be the same “in theory,” but not in their soul! These are cheese wafers that are ready to party! A little fattened up and “sassy-ed” up with some goat cheese, not to mention that little kick on top! Hot pepper jelly will pull you in like the Hokey Pokey song. You think you don’t want to dance but can’t help yourself from moving your foot when the song tells you to put your left one in!
Grab yourself some coffee, a cocktail, or a big glass of milk and start shoveling these cookies in your mouth. You can save the other half of the cheese straw dough recipe for the thumbprints you actually take to the party instead of eating all by yourself.
- 1/2 recipe for Pimento Cheese Straws
- 1 jar of Hot Pepper Jelly
- 6 ounces goat cheese
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Take your pimento cheese straw dough and divide into 36, 1-inch balls.
- Place on a silicone baking sheet or parchment lined baking sheet and press down with your thumb to make the signature thumbprint depression in the cookie.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the edges start to brown slightly. Oven times may vary so you might want to bake one or two to see if the timing is right. The outside should be slightly crispy with some tenderness to the middles.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- When cool, spread a teaspoon of goat cheese into the depression.
- Spoon hot pepper jelly over the cookies. You might need to warm the jelly up on the stove or a quick run in the microwave to loosen it up a bit. I usually just take the lid off (metal) and nuke it for about 20 seconds and stir. Then I can just put the lid back on when I am done. No extra dirty dishes.
- Serve to your favorite people!
What is your favorite type of snack? Sweet or Savory?
Try my other Cheese Recipes!