The sweetness of a shortbread thumbprint cookie is matched with a caramel Rolo candy and dusted with sea salt! These Rolo Thumbprint Cookies will be your new favorite cookie exchange member!
If you’d rather skip my essential cooking tips and tricks and get straight to this delicious recipe – simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
ROLOR THUMBPRINT COOKIES
I love baking cookies!
Not only are they sweet and loved by just about everyone, they are so versatile!
So many flavor and texture combinations to make.
I am a sucker for a sweet and salty combination and seeing all those Rolo candies in my son’s Halloween bag got me thinking…
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THESE
- sweet & salty
- easy to make
- travel well
- make a great cookie for the annual cookie exchange!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my disclosure policy here.
ROLO THUMBPRINT INGREDIENTS
- salted butter
- egg yolks
- sea salt
- Rolo candies
HOW TO MAKE ROLO THUMBPRINT COOKIES
FIRST: Cut each Rolo candy in half horizontally. Set aside until cookies are baked.
SECOND: Cream together the butter, sugar, egg yolks, and vanilla. Slowly add 3 cups of all-purpose flour. Mix to combine. Remove dough and shape into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator until ready to bake or at least 1 hour.
THIRD: When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375F. Roll the dough into 1 inch balls and press flat slightly. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 7-10 minutes or until the edges start to brown slightly. Remove from oven and let set on the baking sheet for 5 minutes.
FOURTH: Remove to a cooling rack and press the Rolo candy in the center (cut side down to contain the caramel). In a few minutes, the candy will be slightly melty. Dust with sea salt. Cool completely.
Store in an air-tight container until ready to eat. Should last 1 week if they don’t get eaten before then.
For the full recipe and detailed instructions, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
TAPAS TIPS & TRICKS
- make the dough a few days before you bake them and stash it in the fridge.
- when you are ready to bake, just roll into 1 inch balls, press flat slightly (using your thumbprint to make the cavity), and bake until the edges turn slightly brown.
- let them rest on the pan for a few minutes after baking before trying to move them.
- when you pull them off to place them on a cooling rack and gently pressed a half a Rolo candy into the center.
- after the Rolo starts to melt a little, that is when I dust them with sea salt. That slightly melted surface makes it easy for the salt to stick to the cookie.
If you love this recipe as much as I do, please write a five-star review in the comment section below (or on Pinterest with the “tried it” button – you can now add pictures into reviews, too!), and be sure to help me share on facebook!
MORE EASY APPETIZERS
- Spicy Cheese Thumbprints
- Dark Chocolate Pistachio Shortbread
- Whipped Shortbread Cookies
- Cookie Fries
- Almond Shortbread Cookies
- Chocolate Caramel Shortbread Sandwiches
For the cookies
- 1 1/3 cups salted butter (I used olive oil and sea salt butter - feel free to use regular salted butter but make sure it's salted)
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 yolks
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups flour
For the tops
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 30 Rolo candies (sliced in half horizontally)
Prep the Rolo candies
- Cut each Rolo candy in half horizontally.
- Set aside until cookies are baked.
Make the thumbprint cookie dough
- Cream together the butter, sugar, egg yolks, and vanilla.
- Slowly add 3 cups of all-purpose flour.
- Mix to combine.
- Remove dough and shape into a ball.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator until ready to bake or at least 1 hour.
Bake the thumbprint cookies
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375F.
- Roll the dough into 1 inch balls and press flat slightly.
- Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 7-10 minutes or until the edges start to brown slightly.
- Remove from oven and let set on the baking sheet for 5 minutes.
- Remove to a cooling rack and press the Rolo candy in the center (cut side down to contain the caramel).
- In a few minutes, the candy will be slightly melty.
- Dust with sea salt.
- Cool completely.
- Store in an air-tight container until ready to eat.
- Should last 1 week if they don't get eaten before then.
*If you like this recipe, please leave me a comment and rate it with some stars. Thank you!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 30 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 180Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 148mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 0gSugar: 11gProtein: 2g
This nutrition information was generated via a third party. I can not be held liable for any discrepancies in the information provided.
TakeTwoTapas.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.