The sweetness of a shortbread thumbprint cookie is matched with a caramel Rolo candy and dusted with sea salt! These Rolo Thumbprint Cookies will be your new favorite cookie exchange member!
ROLOR THUMBPRINT COOKIES
I love baking cookies!
Not only are they sweet and loved by just about everyone, they are so versatile!
So many flavor and texture combinations to make.
I am a sucker for a sweet and salty combination and seeing all those Rolo candies in my son’s Halloween bag got me thinking…
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THESE
- sweet & salty
- easy to make
- travel well
- make a great cookie for the annual cookie exchange!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my disclosure policy here.
ROLO THUMBPRINT INGREDIENTS
- salted butter
- egg yolks
- sea salt
- Rolo candies
HOW TO MAKE ROLO THUMBPRINT COOKIES
FIRST: Cut each Rolo candy in half horizontally. Set aside until cookies are baked.
SECOND: Cream together the butter, sugar, egg yolks, and vanilla. Slowly add 3 cups of all-purpose flour. Mix to combine. Remove dough and shape into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator until ready to bake or at least 1 hour.
THIRD: When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375F. Roll the dough into 1 inch balls and press flat slightly. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 7-10 minutes or until the edges start to brown slightly. Remove from oven and let set on the baking sheet for 5 minutes.
FOURTH: Remove to a cooling rack and press the Rolo candy in the center (cut side down to contain the caramel). In a few minutes, the candy will be slightly melty. Dust with sea salt. Cool completely.
Store in an air-tight container until ready to eat. Should last 1 week if they don’t get eaten before then.
For the full recipe and detailed instructions, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
TAPAS TIPS & TRICKS
- make the dough a few days before you bake them and stash it in the fridge.
- when you are ready to bake, just roll into 1 inch balls, press flat slightly (using your thumbprint to make the cavity), and bake until the edges turn slightly brown.
- let them rest on the pan for a few minutes after baking before trying to move them.
- when you pull them off to place them on a cooling rack and gently pressed a half a Rolo candy into the center.
- after the Rolo starts to melt a little, that is when I dust them with sea salt. That slightly melted surface makes it easy for the salt to stick to the cookie.
If you love this recipe as much as I do, please write a five-star review in the comment section below (or on Pinterest with the “tried it” button – you can now add pictures into reviews, too!), and be sure to help me share on facebook!
MORE EASY APPETIZERS
- Spicy Cheese Thumbprints
- Dark Chocolate Pistachio Shortbread
- Whipped Shortbread Cookies
- Cookie Fries
- Almond Shortbread Cookies
- Chocolate Caramel Shortbread Sandwiches
For the cookies
- 1 1/3 cups salted butter (I used olive oil and sea salt butter - feel free to use regular salted butter but make sure it's salted)
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 yolks
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups flour
For the tops
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 30 Rolo candies (sliced in half horizontally)
Prep the Rolo candies
- Cut each Rolo candy in half horizontally.
- Set aside until cookies are baked.
Make the thumbprint cookie dough
- Cream together the butter, sugar, egg yolks, and vanilla.
- Slowly add 3 cups of all-purpose flour.
- Mix to combine.
- Remove dough and shape into a ball.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator until ready to bake or at least 1 hour.
Bake the thumbprint cookies
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375F.
- Roll the dough into 1 inch balls and press flat slightly.
- Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 7-10 minutes or until the edges start to brown slightly.
- Remove from oven and let set on the baking sheet for 5 minutes.
- Remove to a cooling rack and press the Rolo candy in the center (cut side down to contain the caramel).
- In a few minutes, the candy will be slightly melty.
- Dust with sea salt.
- Cool completely.
- Store in an air-tight container until ready to eat.
- Should last 1 week if they don't get eaten before then.
*If you like this recipe, please leave me a comment and rate it with some stars. Thank you!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 30 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 180Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 148mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 0gSugar: 11gProtein: 2g
This nutrition information was generated via a third party. I can not be held liable for any discrepancies in the information provided.
TakeTwoTapas.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.