You may have had a Pig Lickin’ cake or a mandarin orange cake before, but these small Orange Sunrise dessert shooters are a deconstructed version of that classic. Fluffy cake, pineapple whip cream, and mandarin orange segments make a great dessert for Summer!
If you’d rather skip my essential cooking tips and tricks and get straight to this delicious recipe – simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
Have you ever heard of an Orange Pig Lickin’ Cake? My mom and I used to make it all the time because you just throw it together and off you go!
It is so tropical with the orange and pineapple flavors and stays so moist!
We found the recipe in a “country” cookbook and when I say “country” I mean South, boots, boiled peanuts, talk with a twang, country.
I’m not judging because I live down South now.
South Georgia to be exact. Check out my pickled boiled peanuts if you don’t believe me…
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my disclosure policy here.
Everything here revolves around peanuts and Vidalia onions, blueberries, and of course, football. Life involves church, family, suppers, and our Southern traditions.
We take great pride in the pot-luck dinner, Friday night lights, and our community charity organizations.
This Pig Lickin’ cake is the sort of thing that would always make an appearance, someone will take a slice before dinner is completed, and none will be left by the end of the dinner.
PIG LICKING CAKE
You can make the Pig Pickin, or Mandarin Orange cake, as a layer cake or a sheet cake. I have even made it as a bundt cake but that is definitely not as pretty.
I love this cake, even though it gets a little messy with the frosting, but wanted to class it up a bit.
Going into the Spring and Summer, there will be a ton of bridal and baby showers where people want to eat small portions.
You can’t do a small portion of a Mandarin Orange cake when the whole thing is staring at you.
Never fear because, with all the flavors packed into a dainty dessert shooter, you can feel good about eating your cake and still looking like a Southern Lady!
Calling them Pig Pickin’ Shooters also doesn’t scream dainty to me either so I am calling them Orange Sunrise Shooters.
With the daylight savings time change still fresh in my memory, I am enjoying seeing beautiful sunrises each morning while I am dragging my kids out of bed.
The thought of getting to eat these Orange Sunrise Shooters later in the day certainly makes all the dragging, yelling, and wrestling worth it!
ORANGE SUNRISE SHOOTER INGREDIENTS
- a box yellow or white cake mix.
- all the ingredients to make the cake like eggs, oil, and water.
- A tub of frozen whipped topping.
- A box of instant pudding.
- Canned crushed pineapple.
- Mandarin Oranges in the can.
These Orange Sunrise Shooters are the perfect way to serve a Pig Pickin’ Cake in my opinion.
Tip: If you are not big drinkers or you don’t have a ton of shot glasses lying around like I do, you can run to the local dollar store and stock up on candle votives.
I purchased these for tea lights and they were 2 for $1.00. The store is cleaned out of votive holders by the way. Too bad I can never find my stash of tea lights…
Summer is the perfect time to make my Orange Sunrise Shooters and forget serving the whole Pig Pickin’ Cake if you don’t want to!
FINGER FOODS FOR PARTIES
For the Cake
- 1 box vanilla cake mix
- 1 small box of white chocolate instant pudding
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 8 ounces crushed pineapple (drained)
- 2 cups whipped cream (you can make your own or you can use frozen)
- two 15 ounce cans Mandarin orange segments
Bake the cake first
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Mix all the ingredients for the cake (mix, pudding, eggs, water, and oil) and pour into a 9X13 pan.
- Bake at 375F for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
Prepare the whipped topping
- While the cake is cooling, mix the pineapple with the whipped cream or whipped topping.
- Store in the fridge until ready to use.
Assemble your Orange Sunrise Shooters
- Drain the mandarin orange segments.
- When ready to assemble, gather your shooter glasses and ingredients.
- With your shooter glasses, cut out 24 cake circles. I like that the shot glasses make great cutters and you know that they will fit in the glasses afterward.
- Layer 1 cake circle in the bottom of the glass.
- Top with 2 orange segments.
- Add a touch (about 3/4 tablespoon) of whipped topping.
- Make another layer of cake, oranges, and whipped topping.
- Garnish with another orange segment.
- Assemble the remaining shooters until all done.
*If you like this recipe, please leave me a comment and rate it with some stars. Thank you!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 393Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 72mgSodium: 385mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 2gSugar: 34gProtein: 5g
This nutrition information was generated via a third party, Nutritionix, and can not be held liable for any discrepancies in the information provided.
@TakeTwoTapas.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.