The classic Nutter Butter cookie gets a makeover with some cream cheese! Spread it on some tart apples for the perfect afternoon snack! Don’t like apples? Grab your favorite thing to pair with peanut butter and dig in!
Ever had someone call you and invite you over to their house for dinner, immediately get excited, and then freak out because you can’t show up empty-handed?
- What am I going to bring?
- What scraps do I have in my fridge?
- What can I make with hot sauce, sliced cheese, and leftover chicken legs because that is all I have in my house?
This very thing happened to me this morning! I am so excited to go over to their house because they make the best food, have great drinks, and ALWAYS have great conversation.
Problem is that it’s a school night, kids have a tennis match an hour away, and I don’t have time to whip up an elaborate dessert or appetizer.
Peanut butter is always in my pantry, I have kids. They have eaten a bajillion peanut butter sandwiches in their lunch boxes over the course of their school careers, and the oldest is only in middle school. But I always have peanut butter. Something else I always have on hand… cream cheese. It holds quite well and lasts a long time. I usually buy some blocks in bulk, when on sale, and store in my fridge. You can freeze it, but the texture changes a bit when you thaw it, so use frozen cream cheese for casseroles.
I also have powdered sugar all the time because I am a random baker and need to have all my supplies on hand. I currently have 8 bags of chocolate chips in my baking cabinet for emergency baking.
Back to the lunch boxes, there are always apples too. They travel well. I use this corer/slicer to prep them while I am still half asleep in the am.
To answer my questions of what to bring, what do I have time to make, what can I make that will travel well, and what is the easiest thing to whip up and still be worthy of a silver platter?
Nutter Butter Dip with Apples! This dip is a little easier than my Oreo Cheesecake Dip, a little healthier than my Margarita Dip, and satisfies the peanut butter cravings I tend to get in the afternoon.
Nutter Butter cookies are my hubby’s favorite, and I haven’t bought them in almost a decade because he destroys a bag faster than a race car can make it around the track at Daytona! I broke down and bought a bag last week to see if my youngest would like them and decided to make a dip with them. Another sneaky way to get him to eat more apples. He only likes the tart Granny Smith variety and peanut butter pairs best with those.
I am going to whip this up right now, on my lunch break, and bring it to the dinner tonight. In regards to whether or not to bring an appetizer or a dessert? This counts as both!!
- 8 ounces cream cheese , softened
- 1 cup peanut butter (I use the creamy but you can use your favorite)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup whipped cream topping (you can make your own or use the store-bought)
- 6 crushed Nutter Butter Cookies (regular or 12 minis)
- 2 medium Granny Smith Apples , sliced tip below the recipe
- Mix the cream cheese and peanut butter until combined.
- Mix in the powdered sugar.
- Fold in the whipped cream topping until smooth.
- Crush the cookies and sprinkle in the dip. This step is optional. Since I used the creamy peanut butter, the cookies add some texture but you can always leave them chunky.
- Serve with sliced apples or your dipper of choice!
*To keep your apples from browning, add 1 tablespoon lemon juice to 1 cup of water. Slice your apples and toss them in the mixture. Drain and then store in an air-tight container until ready to serve.