Use your bounty of summer vegetables to make a tangy giardiniera vegetable relish to add zip to your sandwiches and salads.
- 3 serrano peppers (thinly sliced)
- 1 red bell pepper (diced)
- 2 celery ribs (diced)
- 1 cup carrot (peeled and diced)
- 2 1/2 cups cauliflower florets (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced fine)
- 1/2 cup salt (Kosher)
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon whole peppercorns
- 1 1/2 cups white vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups olive oil
- Mix all the vegetables together and place in a glass bowl or jar.
- Pour in the salt.
- Add enough water to cover the vegetables and salt.
- Stir to combine.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours or overnight.
- After the soaking period is over, pour off the water and rinse the vegetables to remove any excess salt.
- Place vegetables in a clean glass bowl or jar.
- In a separate bowl whisk the spices, vinegar, and olive oil together.
- Pour vinegar, spices, and oil mixture over the vegetables.
- Seal tight.
- Invert the jar a few times to mix everything together.
- Store in the refrigerator for 48 hours.
- This will keep for 3 weeks if it lasts that long.