These bacon wrapped hot dogs are perfect for your summer get-together. Summer has never been better with bacon on your hot dogs and a fresh tomato relish!
This post has been sponsored by The Kraft Heinz Company. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Nothing says summer quite like hot dogs on the grill but how about making your normal grill fare even better? Try these bacon wrapped hot dogs with a special trick for the buns to make the best hot dog of the summer!
Your kids and your neighbors smelling all the goodness over the fence will thank you.
Having the kids home all day over the summer is leading to a crunch in my grocery budget. I need meals that can feed a crowd, or my two hungry boys, without breaking the bank and that are ultra tasty.
Let me show you how a few essentials and a cool trick can feed 10 people (or my family with two growing boys) with a tasty recipe anyone will love.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my disclosure policy here.
BACON WRAPPED HOT DOG INGREDIENTS
- jalapeno pepper
- hot dogs
- hot dog buns
HOW TO MAKE BACON WRAPPED HOT DOGS
FIRST: Heat grill to medium heat. While the grill is heating up, combine the tomatoes, onions, and peppers to make a relish. Keep relish in the refrigerator while you prep the hot dogs.
SECOND: Wrap 1 bacon slice tightly around each wiener, tucking in ends of bacon slices to secure. I used toothpicks to help keep the bacon in place.
THIRD: Grill bacon-wrapped hot dogs for 8-10 minutes or until bacon is done, turning occasionally. Drain on paper towels as they come off the grill.
FOURTH: Meanwhile, brush mayo evenly onto both sides of buns, then grill 1 to 2 min. on each side or until lightly toasted on both sides. Yes, put mayo on all sides of the buns. The mayo on the outside will help keep the buns from drying out and give you pretty grill marks!Fill buns with wieners; top with tomato mixture, ketchup, and mustard. Serve with chips!
For the full recipe and detailed instructions, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
I’m slowly teaching my kids to cook meals and they know how to make their own hot dogs when they get hungry.
They don’t use the grill yet, but for right now, I can get at least an hour or two between cooking something else for them to eat.
Don’t think hot dogs are boring or that the kids will get tired of eating them. Even hot dogs can be fancy and exciting.
Wrapping bacon around the wieners adds another layer of smoky flavor, plus you get a crunch when you bite into the hot dog with its crispy bacon “wrapping paper!” When I whip up these bacon wrapped hot dogs the kids go crazy for them!
A trick for the grill: I secure my bacon with toothpicks to help the bacon stay wrapped tightly around the hot dog as it cooks. Especially with a thick cut, the bacon tends to shrink or contract when it cooks and could cause it to unravel.
Wrap all the hot dogs inside while you are prepping a simple relish. The combination of tomatoes, onions, and jalapeno is the perfect partner with the smoky bacon, tangy ketchup, and bright mustard.
Another layer of flavor comes from the trick for the buns.
Brushing the hot dog buns with a little mayonnaise makes them toast up on the grill without drying out. The mayonnaise also helps to make pretty grill marks on the outside of the buns for a festive presentation.
This works for grilled cheese sandwiches too!
MORE EASY TAPAS RECIPE
- 1 medium-sized tomato (chopped)
- 1/4 cup onions (chopped)
- 1 jalapeno pepper (seeded and chopped fine)
- 10 slices OSCAR MAYER Bacon (I used Thick Cut)
- 1 16-oz package OSCAR MAYER Wieners (10 pack)
- 10 hot dog buns
- 1/4 cup KRAFT Real Mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup HEINZ Ketchup
- 1/4 cup HEINZ Yellow Mustard
- Heat grill to medium heat.
- While the grill is heating up, combine the tomatoes, onions, and peppers to make a relish.
- Keep relish in the refrigerator while you prep the hot dogs.
- Wrap 1 bacon slice tightly around each wiener, tucking in ends of bacon slices to secure. I used toothpicks to help keep the bacon in place.
- Grill bacon-wrapped hot dogs for 8-10 minutes or until bacon is done, turning occasionally.
- Drain on paper towels as they come off the grill.
- Meanwhile, brush mayo evenly onto both sides of buns, then grill 1 to 2 min. on each side or until lightly toasted on both sides.
- Yes, put mayo on all sides of the buns. The mayo on the outside will help keep the buns from drying out and give you pretty grill marks!
- Fill buns with wieners; top with tomato mixture, ketchup, and mustard.
- Serve with chips!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 379Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 44mgSodium: 1034mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 2gSugar: 7gProtein: 15g
This nutrition information was generated via a third party, Nutritionix, and can not be held liable for any discrepancies in the information provided.
TakeTwoTapas.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.