Bacon Brie Basil Mini Pizzas are a delicious full flavor snack perfect for a fancy Game Day celebration! They pair well with chips and beer too!
For the pizza Base
- 210g or 2/3 cup strong bread flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp quick action dried yeast
- 150 ml or 2/3 cup tepid water
For the Tomato Sauce
- 65 g or 1/3 cup canned tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 ½ tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 50 g or 2oz brie
- 2 slices bacon (I used streaky bacon here in the UK – see notes)
- black pepper
- 6 large basil leaves
- Fine Polenta (for dusting)
Make the Pizza Base
- Weigh the flour, yeast & salt into a medium mixing bowl.
- Add ¾ of the water and turn the mixture with your fingers, adding a little more water as necessary until all of the flour from the side of the bowl has been picked up.
- Aim for a dough that is soft but not sticky and wet.
- Tip onto a lightly floured work surface and knead for 5 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Divide into 12 equal size balls and place on a lightly floured baking sheet.
- Dust lightly with flour, cover with a tea towel and leave to rise until doubled in size (around 1 hour, assuming the room is not excessively cold or hot).
Make the Tomato Sauce
- Put the tinned tomatoes in a bowl with the oil and salt.
- Use your fingers to squash the tomatoes and break them into smaller pieces.
Assemble the Pizzas
- Preheat oven to 270C/520F.
- Dust 2 baking sheets lightly with polenta (to stop the pizza sticking).
- Chop the bacon into thin strips and slice the brie into small chunks.
- Lightly flour a work surface and roll out the pizza balls to circles approx. 3 inches (7 ½ cm) in diameter (you can stretch the dough with your hands if you prefer).
- Place dough rounds on a baking sheet.
- Put a teaspoon of tomato sauce into the center of each pizza and roughly spread out.
- Divide the brie and bacon between the pizzas, grind a little black pepper over each one.
- Bake for approx. 5 minutes until the bacon is cooked, the pizza dough is crisp, and the cheese is melted to your liking.
- Remove the pizzas from the oven and let cool for 2 minutes.
- If serving immediately, tear up the basil leaves and scatter over the pizzas.
- Alternatively, let cool and store in the fridge until ready to eat. Reheat in a hot oven for 3 minutes then scatter the basil on before serving.
*Streaky bacon is the nearest equivalent to regular American bacon that is available in the UK. It tends to have a slightly higher meat content than typical American bacon, but either will work fine for this recipe.
*These Mini pizzas can be served warm or cold and as leftovers in your lunch box.
*If you like this recipe, rate it with some stars!!!
- Category: Appetizer
- Calories: 110